Resource icon

Troubleshooting disk format warnings in TrueNAS SCALE 7.4.5

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Perhaps Toshiba has a proprietary tool to do this?

filllip

Cadet
Perhaps Toshiba has a proprietary tool to do this?
I sent them an inquiry, so let's see if there is any reply. I did in the meantime initiate another format with the sg_format tool with 512 sector size, and noticed a difference this time. The "Block size" field in the output now matched the inputted sector size. It did not when I chose 4096 sector size:

image.png

image.png

What I did was that I typed the command, hit enter, noticed it still said 528, CTRL-C'd the command and rerun it, then it stated 512. Not sure why or what happened, but at least it matches the input now. Let's wait for it to finish ⏲ and see the result. Interesting to see what is faster also; try and fail or Toshiba support.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hmm, the datasheet I found doesn't even mention 528-byte sector options for the 8 TB models. Worse, and probably more relevant, they seem to have separate part numbers for 4kn and 512e - so maybe you can't actually switch to 4kn.

filllip

Cadet
I sent them an inquiry, so let's see if there is any reply. I did in the meantime initiate another format with the sg_format tool with 512 sector size, and noticed a difference this time. The "Block size" field in the output now matched the inputted sector size. It did not when I chose 4096 sector size:

image.png

image.png

What I did was that I typed the command, hit enter, noticed it still said 528, CTRL-C'd the command and rerun it, then it stated 512. Not sure why or what happened, but at least it matches the input now. Let's wait for it to finish ⏲ and see the result. Interesting to see what is faster also; try and fail or Toshiba support.
Success! After this the disk reports 512 block size, and I have successfully created a pool!
1676986002283.png

Thanks for the info in this thread, it has been of amazing help!

aean

Cadet
God if only I had read this thread 6 hours of troubleshooting my RAID card ago...

StarsAndBars

Cadet
Hey @Diasuke! I apologize for the rather elementary question, but as it pertains specifically to HUGO, how do I actually get that installed into my SCALE environment? When I am in the shell after I have apt-get enabled, I used your command:

Install Hugo:
Code:
sudo dpkg -i ./hugo/v7.4.5/HUGO-7.4.5.x86_64.deb

But I only have the .deb package on my local computer, I am not quite sure how to get it into the Scale environment. How do I do that from the command line?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, you need to transfer it through whatever means you'd like - you can grab it directly from the internet with wget, you can join the church of SSH and SFTP it over, you can use existing shares, you could even sneakernet it over.

Whattteva

Wizard
Hey @Diasuke! I apologize for the rather elementary question, but as it pertains specifically to HUGO, how do I actually get that installed into my SCALE environment? When I am in the shell after I have apt-get enabled, I used your command:

Install Hugo:
Code:
sudo dpkg -i ./hugo/v7.4.5/HUGO-7.4.5.x86_64.deb

But I only have the .deb package on my local computer, I am not quite sure how to get it into the Scale environment. How do I do that from the command line?
I'm going to assume by HUGO, you mean this (sorry I could only find the web archive and I'm too lazy to scan through the whole thread):

In which case, you do:
Code:
$ curl -LO https://archive.org/download/hugo-7.4.5/HUGO-7.4.5.x86_64.deb
$ sudo dpkg -i HUGO-7.4.5_x86_64.deb

StarsAndBars

Cadet
Thanks Everyone... I managed to get HUGO installed, and here is what I have done so far and what I am seeing below. Is the quote> prompt what I should be seeing though? Is the process actually running? How do I monitor it/know when it is done? Thanks again!

Screenshot 2023-02-25 at 1.31.31 PM.png

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
man tmux is your friend.

Your immediate problem is that you use tmux by executing the tmux command to open a new session, inside which you can then do whatever needs to be done.

Whattteva

Wizard
Please tell me how to use it correctly. I am still very much learning. Thank you!
Basically, you do these steps:
  1. Login with SSH.
  2. execute tmux
  3. You should now see a terminal screen with a green bar at the bottom.
  4. Use it like you would any normal terminal.
  5. When you're done, hit CTRL-b followed by d
  6. You should now be back to the normal SSH terminal.
  7. Whenever you need to go back to that tmux session from any other terminal, just execute tmux a
There are more things, but that's about a good enough quick list to get you started.

702enigma

Cadet
Hello, I started formatting two of my drives but the power went out and did not return before the UPS died. I can no longer see the drives using lsblk, but I do see them in my Idrac as Blocked. Is there a way to recover this. I'm relatively new to this and even if its a guide to somewhere else would be appreciated.

radier

Cadet
Hello, I started formatting two of my drives but the power went out and did not return before the UPS died. I can no longer see the drives using lsblk, but I do see them in my Idrac as Blocked. Is there a way to recover this. I'm relatively new to this and even if its a guide to somewhere else would be appreciated.
Post more details about your system, but I assume you have a PERC RAID controller. This is a problem I had a few days ago. Once the formatting process was interrupted my SAS HDD became marked as failed in iDRAC. You have to replace the RAID controller with the proper HBA one. In my case of the R740xd server, I have switched from PERC H740p Mini to HBA330 Mini. HDD which before was shown with 0GB capacity in iDRAC I was allowed to format and after almost 23h it was alive again at 8TB and with disabled T10 protection.

702enigma

Cadet
Post more details about your system, but I assume you have a PERC RAID controller. This is a problem I had a few days ago. Once the formatting process was interrupted my SAS HDD became marked as failed in iDRAC. You have to replace the RAID controller with the proper HBA one. In my case of the R740xd server, I have switched from PERC H740p Mini to HBA330 Mini. HDD which before was shown with 0GB capacity in iDRAC I was allowed to format and after almost 23h it was alive again at 8TB and with disabled T10 protection.
Yes I have a R730XD with a PERC H730P Mini. Its still in RAID mode not HBA. If I switched it to HBA could this potentially solve the issue or would I still need a different Controller?

radier

Cadet
HAB mode won't work. You need a real HBA like HBA330 Mini Mono. It will be simple Plug&Play.

702enigma

Cadet
HAB mode won't work. You need a real HBA like HBA330 Mini Mono. It will be simple Plug&Play.
Alright I ordered one thank you. After the install did it just shows the drives as available and then you reformatted them again? Nothing special I need to do besides possibly some other configuration in BIOS which I will look up myself.