How to setup VLANs within FreeNAS 11.3

KevDog

Patron
So I just checked "Disable Hardware Offloading" for the physical interface and now the network throughput is back to normal. Never had to do that on 11.3, not sure if this will cause issues.

Can you post a screenshot where to find this setting?

raidflex

Guru

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 4.00.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 4.00.29 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 366

raidflex

Guru
I still noticed that internet connectivity does not work in the jails that are on different VLANs then the host when using static addresses. DHCP is a work around for this issue for now at least. I am able to ping devices when using a static address between VLANs, at least for devices that I have allowed to communicate. Getting closer, at this point I may need to still create a ticket, but I will continue to troubleshoot.

I am curious if there is anyone else that can replicate this issue also.

KevDog

Patron
I still noticed that internet connectivity does not work in the jails that are on different VLANs then the host when using static addresses. DHCP is a work around for this issue for now at least. I am able to ping devices when using a static address between VLANs, at least for devices that I have allowed to communicate. Getting closer, at this point I may need to still create a ticket, but I will continue to troubleshoot.

I am curious if there is anyone else that can replicate this issue also.
Is the gateway set up appropriately for the VLAN jails?

raidflex

Guru
Is the gateway set up appropriately for the VLAN jails?

I have the DNS/gateway in my global config for the server and also have the default router ip set in the jail itself. Unless I need to set something in the bridge/vlan interface? I had this same setup working on 11.3 though.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Your freeNAS box can have only one default gateway and one set of DNS servers. It's the jails themselves that need a manually set default GW and DNS server if you set the IP address manually. Naturally at least the default GW is different for each VLAN.

raidflex

Guru
Your freeNAS box can have only one default gateway and one set of DNS servers. It's the jails themselves that need a manually set default GW and DNS server if you set the IP address manually. Naturally at least the default GW is different for each VLAN.

Yeah this is the way I have it setup, each jail has their respective gateway set depending on the vlan.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Abd your jails use vnet and you explicitly attached them to their VLAN?

raidflex

Guru
Abd your jails use vnet and you explicitly attached them to their VLAN?

That is correct, I have Vlan and bridge interfaces setup and each jail is connected to their respective bridge with the correct vlan interface. This all worked on 11.3, it wasn't until Truenas 12.0RC that it stopped.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Which system is the default gateway in your VLANs and how is it connected to your infrastructure?

raidflex

Guru
Which system is the default gateway in your VLANs and how is it connected to your infrastructure?

The default gateway is set to 10.10.10.1 under global config in Truenas, which is the default gateway for VLAN10. I have my switch port on the Cisco SG500 switch set to "Trunk" and all VLans traversing that physical interface are tagged going to Truenas. The Static IP for my Truenas server is defined under VLAN10 in network interfaces.

I have attached my network config there are 3 VLANs and 3 bridges, certain jails are assigned to certain bridge interfaces depending on which VLAN is required.

I have also noticed that I need to set the "vnet_default_interface" under each jail to "none" or I do not get any network connectivity.

Attachments

• Network.png
    Network.png
    104.1 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
What is the default gateway's address for the jails in VLAN 20 and which device is it?

raidflex

Guru

Attachments

• jail.png
    jail.png
    120.6 KB · Views: 308
  • jail3.png
    jail3.png
    110 KB · Views: 321

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Which device has got an IP address of 10.10.20.1? And is that device capable of routing?

raidflex

Guru
Which device has got an IP address of 10.10.20.1? And is that device capable of routing?

That is default gateway set by my pfsense firewall for VLAN20.

The pfsense firewall handles the VLANs, my Cisco switch is just setup as Layer 2.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Can you ping that pfsense from the jail?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Now that is weird. I am at the end of my wits via the forum. I would need to get my hands on your devices and do some packet traces. Finding someone near who can do that is probably your best bet.

raidflex

Guru
Now that is weird. I am at the end of my wits via the forum. I would need to get my hands on your devices and do some packet traces. Finding someone near who can do that is probably your best bet.

This is why I suspect this is a bug in Truenas 12.0RC, since it worked perfectly fine with static addresses on Freenas 11.3.

gwaitsi

Patron
i am doing something wrong.
bridge0 says vlan20 and vlan30 are members
i try create bridge20 and bridge30, the first attempt to save fails with device busy.
second attempt saves, in bridge20 is in the list, but then disappears.

** update **
reversed out these instructions
Code:
i. System->Tunables--> Click ADD
ii. Variable->cloned_interfaces, Value->bridge0, Type->rc.conf, Enabled->Yes
iii. System->Tunables-->Click ADD
iv. Variable->ifconfig_bridge0, Value->addm vlan1 up, Type->rc.conf, Enabled->Yes

rebooted and the bridges were able to be created.

Last edited: