SOLVED Seperate IP address for individual nic

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogerh

Guru
If you are downloading a lot from the Internet to the gaming PC as well as traffic between it and FreeNAS, then you might need two NICs on the gaming PC to take advantage of the dedicated link - assuming its storage system can cope with both gigabyte sources at once.

As someone said, it may be simpler and cheaper to use just one FreeNAS NIC and see if you actually have any practical limitations. Just because you have two NICs on the machine does not mean it is necessary to use both! If your Internet connecting router has a few ethernet ports you don't even have to buy an additional switch, so this is also a potential saving. I doubt you will see the difference for the great majority of the time.

xxxGODxxx

Dabbler
Well, since I might be able to bridge the ports of the nic together, I might not even need a switch to do these routing. Will I be able to get internet access to my gaming pc if I set up nic 1 and nic 2 as a bridge interface? I wish I could just pop in another nic for my gaming pc to connect to my router but it isn't feasible as my gaming pc is in my room and I will only have 1 ethernet port from my router in my living room to my bedroom - I can't just add another port as my house is made of concrete :/
Untitled.png

xxxGODxxx

Dabbler
If you are downloading a lot from the Internet to the gaming PC as well as traffic between it and FreeNAS, then you might need two NICs on the gaming PC to take advantage of the dedicated link - assuming its storage system can cope with both gigabyte sources at once.

As someone said, it may be simpler and cheaper to use just one FreeNAS NIC and see if you actually have any practical limitations. Just because you have two NICs on the machine does not mean it is necessary to use both! If your Internet connecting router has a few ethernet ports you don't even have to buy an additional switch, so this is also a potential saving. I doubt you will see the difference for the great majority of the time.
I wouldn't really require 1gbps internet to my gaming pc but I would need 1gbps from freenas to my gaming pc because and I will be loading some games from my nas to it and also to my htpc as my htpc will be a torrent/seedbox. I'm fairly certain that the freenas I intend to build (c2550d4i, 16gb ecc ram, 4*3tB wd red drive in raid 10) should be able to saturate both gigabit ports so I think I will require the 2 nics

Well youre about half way there with the 40 youre gonna spend on the unmanaged switch already. And you still might not be able to do with it what you wanna do. So you're potentially throwing that money down the drain, especially since youre talking about running gigabit ethernet, doesnt sound like you got much room for error.
Sorry, but can you elaborate on what you mean by saying that I wouldn't have much room for error since I am running gigabit ethernet? I don't really understand why that is so

rogerh

Guru
The setup in your diagram should work, and, provided you get everything right, your gaming PC should connect to the Internet. I'm not sure you will see much advantage, but then it only costs the time and effort to set up the bridging!

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
I don't think that bridging on Freenas will work. You have 2 different IP spaces, so it will need to do some routing. A possibly simpler solution would be to connect the FreeNAS NIC2 and your gaming PC to the switch. setup a second IP address on your gaming nic to be able to communicate with the FreeNAS NIC2 ip address.

Are your VM's running on the FreeNAS? How much of your anticipated load of 500mb will be applied to the FreeNAS link?

rogerh

Guru
I don't think that bridging on Freenas will work. You have 2 different IP spaces, so it will need to do some routing. A possibly simpler solution would be to connect the FreeNAS NIC2 and your gaming PC to the switch. setup a second IP address on your gaming nic to be able to communicate with the FreeNAS NIC2 ip address.

Are your VM's running on the FreeNAS? How much of your anticipated load of 500mb will be applied to the FreeNAS link?
I am not by any means an expert, but if you do bridging you put both sides in the same subnet. Rather the same sort of arrangement that allows the jails to have their own IP addresses and connect through the main FreeNAS NIC. I think it was @jgreco who recommended this and said it could be set up by a script during the FreeNAS boot process. Ah, here is a reference:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-without-10gb-switch.25259/page-2#post-161363

xxxGODxxx

Dabbler

I expect my htpc to use 500-600mbps usually as my htpc will constantly be seeding torrents. My VMs are running on my htpc but since they are seeding from the freenas server they will be reading from the nas at 500mbps so I would say that the load would be near constant. I initially wanted to set up a network like the one below but I'm still not sure if it will work
Untitled.png

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
The only limitation in that diagram is that, unless you configure routing on the FreeNAS, your gaming PC won't have access to the internet.

I would suggest having your gaming PC in the same network space as the other devices (192.168.1.X/24) and add a secondary IP address on that NIC in the 192.168.2.X/24 ip space. That way you can still access the internet, and Freenas. You could do the same on your other machines as well. Then you are manually load balancing the traffic over the 2 freenas links.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
If you only have two things on 192.168.2.*, why not just hook them up with a point to point and not burden the switch?

Having two subnets with two broadcast domains on the switch is a crummy design (sorry).

The FreeNAS box can theoretically be made to route the traffic to 192.168.2.*. You need to have your NAT gateway (ac68u) static route 192.168.2.0/24 at 192.168.1.2. This also makes some assumptions that the NAT gateway will be willing to NAT a different subnet.

zoomzoom

Guru
On the C2550/C2750 the IPMI port is bridged with eth1.... could he run the IPMI port [eth1_1] to the switch and eth1 to the gaming PC? <--- nvm... I misread and realized he needed both to be ran to the switch

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
IIRC, the C2750D4I IPMI port isn't really "bridged." Just a little bit of hardware sorcery. It does annoyingly default to that mode I think.

If for some reason you cannot run the IPMI on the dedicated port, just run the combined port ("eth1") to the switch and run "eth0" to the gaming PC. Simple fix.

zoomzoom

Guru
I wasn't aware of that... learn something new everyday =]

jgreco

Resident Grinch

zoomzoom

Guru

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
If you only have two things on 192.168.2.*, why not just hook them up with a point to point and not burden the switch?
Because then he will need to enable routing on FreeNas if he wants his Gaming PC to have Internet connectivity. Boy, things were a lot easier when you were on sabbatical. :smile:

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
He'll need to enable routing somewhere anyways.
Not if he assigns multiple IP addresses to the single interface in the gaming PC.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
That's really ugly and like the second or third step to a franken-network nightmare.
Totally agree, but unless the OP gives up on the idea of using 2 separate network links or upgrades to a managed switch, I can't think of an alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.