Selecting a user's home directory on the USB drive that has houses the "FreeNAS USB image"

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordHog

Cadet
Hello,

I was wondering and would like to have my user directory on the USB drive that houses the FreeNAS USB image and which FreeNAS was booted from. I think the USB drive needs a device under mnt, but I am not sure how this would be accomplished or if I can do that.

Thanks,
Mark

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The manual discusses the fact that the boot device cannot store user data.

LordHog

Cadet
Cyberjock, thanks for the information. I was checking the manual, but I only found one occurrence of "boot device", none of "user data", and 33 of "home directory". I didn't see mentioned of the fact you stated. I am quite sure you are correct, but I didn't find the corresponding location in the most recent manual (from here: http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Main_Page). Do you know why this is the case, by chance?

Knowltey

Patron
Cyberjock, thanks for the information. I was checking the manual, but I only found one occurrence of "boot device", none of "user data", and 33 of "home directory". I didn't see mentioned of the fact you stated. I am quite sure you are correct, but I didn't find the corresponding location in the most recent manual (from here: http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Main_Page). Do you know why this is the case, by chance?

Storage device uses the maximum number of partitions, plus the data disks need to be only one single partition, so the USB that the OS is installed to is both fully reserved already, and doesn't meet the requirements of a storage device in FreeNAS.

Whattteva

Wizard
FreeNAS is designed to keep the base installation as cleanly as possible with the least amount of user mutation as possible. And if there is any, it will be done in a very strict and controlled manner (the web UI).
They did this for a good reason (not just to spite you). It is because when you restrict and control the number of things that can modify the system, it will function more reliably and more predictably should things go wrong.
This is the reason why enterprises prefer long term release OS model with very few changes outside of security audits as opposed to a rolling-release model. FreeNAS is built with this same production-oriented mindset.

If you want to do any customization, do it in your jails, that's what sandboxing is designed for.

Status
Not open for further replies.