Scale Windows VM Setup & Connect

fjpanna

Cadet
First let me start I'm a newbie at VM's. I want to create a Windows VM. I appear to have setup the VM and when I start it i can click on display and I get a spice window. I can't make it full screen. Also seems to lock up often. Is there a best practice for setting up so I can connect to the VM from any computer in the house and work? I tried to clone the VM and deleted the display and re-added without web interface thinking I could connect but have no idea.

Many thanks in advance.

sfatula

Guru
I access it from a separate machine via Spice protocol software, in my case, Remmina. There are others.

Spice has many advantages, I think:

1. You can access all boot screens/repair screens, pick different drives to boot from, run clonezilla, etc.
  2. It works with VNC, RDP, and, Spice
  3. It's very fast
  4. There is no configuration needed within the VM
  5. It works with any VM os
  6. Very simple to configure

Last edited:

probain

Patron
Since it's a Windows VM, you can also connect from another computer via RDP. No need to install a third-party connection server on the VM then. And then having the Spice display available as a "in case of emergency".

I basically don't use the Truenas "Display" ever.

fjpanna

Cadet
Since it's a Windows VM, you can also connect from another computer via RDP. No need to install a third-party connection server on the VM then. And then having the Spice display available as a "in case of emergency".

I basically don't use the Truenas "Display" ever.
May I ask how, where do you find the network address for RDP, i tried /vm/display/display#. Thx in advance

probain

Patron
May I ask how, where do you find the network address for RDP, i tried /vm/display/display#. Thx in advance
Sorry. I assumed you had network connectivity on your VM. You'll need this first. If you do, but don't know the VM's IP address. Then use spice and check quickly what the VM has then. :smile:

fjpanna

Cadet
@probain so sorry, I have network connectivity found the IP 192.168.1.53 but when I put it in RDP can't find it. I tried to ping the ip and no luck. Appreciate your help and responses.

probain

Patron
Maybe it isn't a Pro version of windows?
Microsoft help doc

Otherwise, check google and youtube and you'll find plenty of helpful resources that explain things better.