Safe to upgrade to 9.3...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
However most importantly you bring the point that 9.3 uses ZFS for the root. While I have 3 TrueOS boxes which use ZFS for root upgrading from 9.2.1.9 (UFS) to 9.3 (ZFS) + new ZFS version doesn't sound something that should be taken casually.

Better safe than sorry. In my case, it was all VM tinkering, and I think I created a clone and then upgraded that. The underlying datastore for the OS image is already fast and redundant, so it wasn't really a concern that there's no easy way to make a mirrored boot image. But I very much like the redundant boot device option, as all our filers are already booting off redundant disks ... just had to do it differently in the old days. ;-)

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Yeah, I meant the .img, but seriously, the .img is an image and the .iso is an image too, the extension doesn't matter. The important thing is: 9.2 --> OS image without installer OR installer image; 9.3 --> only installer image, so you need another device than the device (USB, CD, DVD, or even IPMI) you want to install FreeNAS on.

SilverJS

Patron
So, as per suggestions above, I installed 9.3 on a totally separate drive and imported my configuration. So far, so good. Tried logging in to the Transmission web interface : all good.

Tried connecting to the box via CIFS : no go. Tried finding the box on the network : no go. (One thing I didn't try, however, was try to see if AFP was up - I have a Mac in the studio I use FreeNAS to TimeMachine with. But I forgot.)

So, just to make sure, popped the old USB stick in it with 9.2.0, and everything's back up to normal. Any ideas...? I know this is very vague and you have nothing to work with, but...? How could the config work on 9.2 and not on 9.3? Everything else seemed to be tickety-boo, from what I could see, so I don't think the hardware is at fault, but I of course could be totally wrong.

diedrichg

Wizard
So, as per suggestions above, I installed 9.3 on a totally separate drive and imported my configuration. So far, so good. Tried logging in to the Transmission web interface : all good.

Tried connecting to the box via CIFS : no go. Tried finding the box on the network : no go. (One thing I didn't try, however, was try to see if AFP was up - I have a Mac in the studio I use FreeNAS to TimeMachine with. But I forgot.)

So, just to make sure, popped the old USB stick in it with 9.2.0, and everything's back up to normal. Any ideas...? I know this is very vague and you have nothing to work with, but...? How could the config work on 9.2 and not on 9.3? Everything else seemed to be tickety-boo, from what I could see, so I don't think the hardware is at fault, but I of course could be totally wrong.

I thought I read someone having similar connection issue. Did the new install change your server address? Is your router pointing to the correct address?

zambanini

Patron
with fn9.3 go to the cifs settings, check everything. also if there is a minimum smb version set. some other forum member had that issue..to lazy to search for it right now.

SilverJS

Patron
I thought I read someone having similar connection issue. Did the new install change your server address?

Nope. The very initial install, yes, but as soon as I imported my config file, the subsequent reboot gave the same addresses (base and jails) as before.

Is your router pointing to the correct address?

Not sure what this means...? I never fiddled with that, as far as I know.

with fn9.3 go to the cifs settings, check everything. also if there is a minimum smb version set. some other forum member had that issue..to lazy to search for it right now.

I'm aware of a thread (I referenced it in my original post) of somebody having CIFS issues with 9.3. As far as I know, it hadn't been resolved and had been over 3 pages. Is that the one you're talking about?

zambanini

Patron
nope, that one I talk about was happy after setting the minimum smb version.

SilverJS

Patron
OK, I'll try looking it up...

vikingboy

Explorer
This thread reminded me Id seen an update that TrueNAS had gone to 9.3 earlier this week and I thought at the time it was probably "safe" to upgrade, so thanks to the OP for reminding me with this thread.

I just upgraded to 9.3 and lost my network connectivity, had to delete the interfaces and recreate them but it came back fine after a reboot or two. Pretty stressful as it was my first FreeNAS upgrade but pretty smooth. All my jails came back up ok too (Crashplan, Plex & Ubiquiti UniFI)

SilverJS

Patron
Not sure if it's of any particular relevance, but I saw, during the bootup sequence, something along the lines of :

"Performing Samba Sanity Check = FAILED"

or some such. Important...?

SilverJS

Patron
OK - but why is it working in 9.2....?

JayG30

Contributor
The question is related to 9.2.0 vs basically all versions after that (for the OP), correct?
When was FreeNAS changed to Samba 4 again? Wasn't it sometime in the 9.2 track?

Perhaps user is having an issue caused by Samba 4 upgrades? I remember having MAJOR issues when the switch was made because of file/folder permissions going completely out of control. And I was only using Unix permissions at the time, but basically this forced me to move to Windows ACL's. Believe I had to delete the folders containing Samba configuration info (.system perhaps) and issue new "sane" permissions, then reset all my permissions again. Wasn't very fun.

OP,
  • In Services, can CIFS be started? (if not what is the error)
  • You can get to the web GUI, correct?
  • Do other services work, such as SSH? Is it just isolated to CIFS?

JayG30

Contributor

SilverJS

Patron
I appreciate the input, thanks to all for contributing. I haven't actually worked on this much in the last two-ish days, as I've been putting together a separate FreeNAS box to act as a back-up (and, incidentally, tried out 9.3 on it - worked like a charm on a fresh install!). I'll have another thread on that particular topic shortly (best way to back up a FreeNAS box to another FreeNAS box), and when the back-up is complete, I'll revisit this thread.

That being said, I can (mostly) answer JayG's questions from above :

1. CIFS was started and working (that is, showing as "On") on the first boot-up after uploading the old 9.2 config. As soon as I made changes to the CIFS settings or what not in my pathetic attempts to correct the situation, I got an error message (forget what it is, sorry). If I then tried to stop the service, and re-start it, it wouldn't start. But, it just said "couldn't start service" or what not - no more specifics. Could I have gotten that from console messages...?
2. Yes, I could get to the WebGUI no problem. That's how I did the above;
3. I don't know if other services work, but I did try to start SSH in my brief time with the 9.3 install, and it started up fine.

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
nope, that one I talk about was happy after setting the minimum smb version.
Don't do this! Setting the minimum protocol version will not fix anything. How you should have our configured is what the defaults are. Minimum is --- and maximum is smb2 as of 9.3. Smb negotiates the highest version supported by the client so configuring the minimum will make it so older client can't connect at all. The reason you set the maximum to smb2 is because smb3 has known compatibility issues with newer windows and osx.

SilverJS

Patron
Replication task all done, hopefully it all works. I'll probably wait a couple of days until all is transferred over before re-tackling this, but working with 9.3 on my back-up box has really made me want to upgrade the main box. I find the WebGUI interface a fair bit easier to work around - it's just more intuitive for me.

UPDATE : Replication going well, but it'll be a while yet.

Last edited:

SilverJS

Patron
OK, so replication complete, and I can now play around with this. Tried the Testparm command - Unable to open, no such file or directory.

EDIT : Also tried a brand-new, fresh 9.3 install. First thing I did was re-create my usual interface, then imported my pool. Went to configure CIFS, then to start it - no go. I'm beginning to think this might be hardware-related (Asus M4A88T-M/USB3, complete with Realtek NIC....fear not, I've got an X10 mobo with G3220 inbound), as I'm having the very same problems on a fresh, fresh install.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.