Safe to Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Is it safe to upgrade from 9.2.0 to 9.2.1.6 or should i wait for 9.3?

If in doubt, install to a new drive and try it out. 9.2.1.6 should be the release of the 9.2.1 branch. 9.3 is six months away, at best.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I think you should ask yourself one main question... Are you fine with your system the way it sits? 9.2.1.6 is the final version for the 9.2 series and it appears very stable and fixes a lot of bugs for many people, however it may not fix anything for you depending on how you use your machine.

As Eric said above, grab a different flash drive and load it up with 9.2.1.6 and see if you like it. Do not upgrade your pools if you get an Alert light, just mark the checkbox.

Whattteva

Wizard
I think you should ask yourself one main question... Are you fine with your system the way it sits? 9.2.1.6 is the final version for the 9.2 series and it appears very stable and fixes a lot of bugs for many people, however it may not fix anything for you depending on how you use your machine.

As Eric said above, grab a different flash drive and load it up with 9.2.1.6 and see if you like it. Do not upgrade your pools if you get an Alert light, just mark the checkbox.
Lol, I still run 9.1.1 RELEASE and my uptime was 150+ days before I had to take it down because of moving. I think FreeBSD kernel in general is rock solid really.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
9.1.1 and 9.2.0 were very, very, very, very good releases.

I personally am sticking on 9.2.0 for the time being.

titan_rw

Guru
I agree. I'm still using 9.2.0-release on both of my nas's. I honestly don't see much reason to upgrade, yet.

DGizyn

Cadet
Does anyone know if there are still boot problems with 9.2.1.6?
I know I couldn't boot into 9.2 after upgrading from 9.1.1 due to a core bsd update or something similar. Driver related..

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Does anyone know if there are still boot problems with 9.2.1.6?
I know I couldn't boot into 9.2 after upgrading from 9.1.1 due to a core bsd update or something similar. Driver related..

Uhh.. TONS of people are using it. So without you describing the problem all I can say is "works for me".

DGizyn

Cadet
Haha, stupid question I suppose.
I remember I found a single thread with an issue similar to mine when I tried to upgrade.
Was somehow related to the upgrade in the sense that it no longer ?supported my hardware -- Just been so long that my search is kind of futile at this point. Suppose Ill just stick with what works.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I'm now on 9.2.1.6. Aside from a chatty-as-hell spew-log on nmbd and smbd, it's a thumbs up from DrKK

Robert Smith

Patron
Is it safe to upgrade from 9.2.0 to 9.2.1.6 or should i wait for 9.3?

I started with 9.2.1.6 but after a few weeks of struggling with SAMBA 4, I gave up. I am now on 9.2.0 as it is the last version that uses SAMBA 3.

9.2.0 is also capable of running without .system dataset, which is a plus for my application.

Knowltey

Patron
I started with 9.2.1.6 but after a few weeks of struggling with SAMBA 4, I gave up. I am now on 9.2.0 as it is the last version that uses SAMBA 3.

9.2.0 is also capable of running without .system dataset, which is a plus for my application.
What kind of struggles were you struggling with with Samba 4 over Samba 3?

titan_rw

Guru

I must have missed this. The .system dataset is for logs right? What if I point both my nas's to an separate syslog server? I don't need to keep logs on the freenas boxes themselves. I'd rather keep the datasets clean and log to a central source.

FreeNAS_Lover

Dabbler
I started with 8.3.1 and presently I am on 9.2.0..and it works fine and never thought of upgrading...I tried 9.2.1.2 in a system and faced problems of samba. So I switch back to 9.2.0.

Knowltey

Patron

pschatz100

Guru
I upgraded to 9.2.1.6 specifically because it used Samba 4. In my case, I did not have showstopper problems with earlier versions, but now my uploads run about 40% faster on average from my Windows 7 machine. I did take the precaution of deleting all my CIFS shares before the update and reestablishing them afterwords. I don't know if this was strictly necessary, but it was about 15 minutes of work - so I felt the time was a good investment.

The .system file that some folks refer to is necessary for Samba 4. It is trivial in size, so I just put it on a mirrored volume and don't worry about it anymore. It doesn't interfere with any of the data on that volume.

Knowltey

Patron
I upgraded to 9.2.1.6 specifically because it used Samba 4. In my case, I did not have showstopper problems with earlier versions, but now my uploads run about 40% faster on average from my Windows 7 machine. I did take the precaution of deleting all my CIFS shares before the update and reestablishing them afterwords. I don't know if this was strictly necessary, but it was about 15 minutes of work - so I felt the time was a good investment.

The .system file that some folks refer to is necessary for Samba 4. It is trivial in size, so I just put it on a mirrored volume and don't worry about it anymore. It doesn't interfere with any of the data on that volume.

Yeah, I likewise have been noticed a good improvement in speeds.

Whattteva

Wizard
I've been running 9.1.1 until just an hour ago. Used the GUI upgrade, it rebooted on its own and the system is now back up on 9.2.1.6. I did not do anything extra other than that upgrade step.
As far as I can tell, configuration settings are preserved and jails still run fine (I don't use plugins, so I can't comment on that).
Few changes I've noticed:
  • No more web admin, it simply uses the root user now.
  • Web GUI icon has been changed to match the freenas.org website (shame, I rather liked the red icon).
  • Haven't checked reporting tab in a while, but it looks like it's more reliable and more organized.
  • Lots of jail templates (Had I known this, I may have upgraded long time ago).
That's about all I've noticed in an hour or so.

FreeNAS_Lover

Dabbler
Yeah I know, I was asking you what those problems were exactly.

The problems were like I could not see my CIFS share from windows, it disappeared from windows on one morning when i booted my system. Although I made no changes with the settings. I was surprised and found people reporting samba4 issues and bugs. So, I tried many steps and destroy samba, but nothing helped. So, as advised by cyberjock in many of his comments to people, I switched back to 9.2.0 which as per him is much stable among others.

Thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.