9.2.x series safe to downgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomymaster

Contributor
Hello

I just found an issue after i tried to upgrade my FreeNAS box from 9.2.1.6 to 9.2.1.9. Now the question is if its safe to downgrade to 9.2.1.6 as well (or maybe i try 9.2.1.7) or if i have to do a full reinstall and import my 9.2.1.6 config?

So in general, is it safe to downgrade in the same series e.g. 9.2.x?

Cheers

Thomy

D

dlavigne

Personally, I would burn another stick and import the config.

Thomymaster

Contributor
OK, but is is now safe to downgrade or not (regardless of your personal opinion)? :)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
In theory, it should be, if you don't go back to 9.2.1.5 or earlier. In practice, you'll find that this is the kind of thing few people try and as such, YMMV.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Downgrading isn't supported. But, if you have the original config from when you were using the old version, you should be able to import it and be back to the way things were.

That being said, even if you use the later version config file to go back to the old file, it will probably work. But whether there are going to be problems in the future or not are very unclear. It's much more important to figure out what is broken and get that in 9.3 (which is due out in 4 days). If I were you I'd jump at this extremely rare opportunity to identify the problem so it can be fixed in 9.3 (assuming it is broken in 9.3) and then just wait until Monday morning for 9.3 to be released.

Thomymaster

Contributor
OK, so the general rule is:

keep a config for each upgrade and when you need to downgrade, to a fresh install of the old version and import the old config?! :)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
OK, so the general rule is:

keep a config for each upgrade and when you need to downgrade, to a fresh install of the old version and import the old config?! :)

More or less, yeah.

no_connection

Patron
Isn't pressing F2 the only thing needed to boot into the previous version? (assuming an upgrade and not writing a new USB then importing config)

Status
Not open for further replies.