Upgrade Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

eqartimus

Explorer
Hey all! Seasons greetings!

I have some down time and thought that I would finally wade in and upgrade my system from:
:FreeNAS-9.2.1.6-RELEASE-x64 (ddd1e39)
to the current 9.3.XXX.Stable

Anyhow, been reading the install guides over and over ... and wanted to double check that I have my bases covered.

So I *think* I have made the appropriate back-ups that I need to do before I proceed and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. (better safe than sorry.)

These are the 3 files that I have now.
Code:
freenas-FreeNAS-9.2.1.6-RELEASE-x64 (ddd1e39)-20160106221023.db
geli.key
geli_recovery.key

And this is where I got them from:
Save-Config1.png

and
Save-Config.png

Am I missing something -- or can I begin the update process now without fear of not being able to rewind in case of difficulties?
Thanks in advance.

David

eqartimus

Explorer
Yes, I have been reading that ... and other parts of the manual. If you followed my question, I *think* I have backed myself up ... and the essence of my question is: Have I backed myself up?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Just some friendly advice before you begin anything with your hardware.... Back up you data! (Yes, not the first time you have heard it)

If you do not have a serious need for encryption, get rid of it.

Also, if you are going to continue to run encryption, you should already know all these answers to the questions you are asking. I say this not to be offensive, it's because when using encryption you really need to fully understand how things are working and how to recover from a failure or perform a drive replacement or upgrade. Encryption is not for the faint of heart. It all sounds cool but you could loose all your data in a heart beat. This forum is full of these horror stories.

If you need encryption on some files, you can use other software to handle that such as TrueCrypt. Just some food for thought. Speaking of food.... :rolleyes:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Yes, I have been reading that ... and other parts of the manual. If you followed my question, I *think* I have backed myself up ... and the essence of my question is: Have I backed myself up?
@m0nkey_ and @joeschmuck are telling you to make sure you have a usable copy of your data, in case you make a mistake.
We have no way to know if you have made all the proper key strokes. This fact makes the copy UBER
important should you not be able to use your key to read the encrypted data files.

eqartimus

Explorer
I suspected this (not for the faint at heart) about encryption ... though I set it up because I thought it was going to be easy and since my processor/hardware supported it, that there would be no noticeable hit in performance. In any case, I have 35+ years of experience in the computer field, but have been out of it now for nearly 10. So every time I need to do something with this system, it's weeks of trying to get re-acquainted with things.

I have thought about removing encryption, but don't see that it's trivial in any way...

Is there a relatively 'simple' way to remove the encryption? (Besides backing up, reinitializing drives, and restoring?)

This might be a good time to do this (removal of encryption) prior to updating the system.

Thanks in advance.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast

eqartimus

Explorer

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Status
Not open for further replies.