Restore config.xml or .db from auto imported volume?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wade

Contributor
Hello all, my main rig's hard drive failed so i took that opportunity to rebuild a new main box and all is well. My problem is that a few months ago my nicely running freenas home server motherboard died. No prob, got a new motherboard, flashed FreeNAS-9.2.1.6-RELEASE-x64 (ddd1e39) to my usb stick (before i realized it was the motherbaord i thought it was a corrupt usb so thats why i flashed the latest release), hooked all my drives back up, auto imported my volume and wallah, im back in business. The problem is my config backup .db was on my main rig that crashed. It took me three months of research and fine tuning to get freenas just right. The good thing is all my files are there but i have no configuration =( all of my settings, were all copied from different places here and there as i have very little IT or networking background. With that said is there anyplace on my volume or in the shell where i can recover my old settings?

Thank you

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I think the answer is "no". Normally, the database file you're referring to is in the /data directory. You'll see in there a file called freenas-v1.db or something, which is where those settings are stored. Obviously, there has to be precisely one of those files in existence at any given time. And right now, you have ostensibly a virginal one for your new install. This is why several of us run a script, every day or so, to make a physical COPY of that file in a safe place. Just in case the worst happens. (instructions on that are in the forum somewhere).

You said you have a "config backup .db" somewhere. If that means you used the "configuration backup" function (or whatever it's called) in the FreeNAS GUI, then you're in business if you can find where you put that file.

If not, I'm afraid there's no way to recover the old settings, that I know of.

Wade

Contributor
ok, thanks. the worsted has happened!! lol i made that .db back up and saved it to my main box, after my main box went down i upgraded and forgot to save a new copy of the .db file. then a few months later my nas went down and i had no settings backup =( oh well at least my volumes and files are all there, now i just have to start searching for that chron jobs maintenance thread and all my plugin settings. this time around i think im going to install the plugins from the built in plugins down loader instead of makin my own single jail to house them, im also gonna upload my .db to dropbox and email myself a copy while im looking for the script to back up my configuration settings, thanks for the heads up, ive got alot of resarch to do but this time around it shouldnt take three months! im still a noob, just not a new noob =)

on 2nd thought, the worst would have been losing my files, thank goodness for "auto volume import!"

Status
Not open for further replies.