SOLVED Running jail internet connection through host device?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGRHavoc

Cadet
Hi,

I've just moved into my student accommodation and I'm having trouble setting up jails on my NAS box to connect to the internet (with the default settings at least). I believe that it has something to do with the way that they (ASK8, the ISP) have set up their LAN server for the building. Basically, I can only have two MAC addresses associated with my account at one time (unless I pay a fee which, I would like to avoid if I can) that can have access to the internet.

So, I was wondering if there is a way to set up the jails so that they use the Ethernet cable that is plugged into the NAS box and if so, would this give the jail the same MAC address?

Thanks in advance for the help.

PS: I'm a total networking noob so, please forgive me if I've missed something totally obvious.

Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi,

I've just moved into my student accommodation and I'm having trouble setting up jails on my NAS box to connect to the internet (with the default settings at least). I believe that it has something to do with the way that they (ASK8, the ISP) have set up their LAN server for the building. Basically, I can only have two MAC addresses associated with my account at one time (unless I pay a fee which, I would like to avoid if I can) that can have access to the internet.

So, I was wondering if there is a way to set up the jails so that they use the Ethernet cable that is plugged into the NAS box and if so, would this give the jail the same MAC address?

Thanks in advance for the help.
You can't give multiple devices the same mac addresses. Look into setting up NAT for your apartment. Just about any cheap wired or wireless router should do the trick.

TGRHavoc

Cadet
You can't give multiple devices the same mac addresses. Look into setting up NAT for your apartment. Just about any cheap wired or wireless router should do the trick.
OK, so let me get this right (using a spare sky hub 2).
1. Hub connects to LAN using Ethernet (add hubs' MAC to the list so it has internet access)
2. Add my devices to the Hub via Ethernet.

And that will allow them to connect via the hub or, am I missing something?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
OK, so let me get this right (using a spare sky hub 2).
1. Hub connects to LAN using Ethernet (add hubs' MAC to the list so it has internet access)
2. Add my devices to the Hub via Ethernet.

And that will allow them to connect via the hub or, am I missing something?
You're using non-standard terminology. Sky hub sounds like a 4g hotspot.

Do you have an Ethernet jack in your apartment or are you connecting to the LAN via a wireless connection?

TGRHavoc

Cadet
You're using non-standard terminology. Sky hub sounds like a 4g hotspot.

Do you have an Ethernet jack in your apartment or are you connecting to the LAN via a wireless connection?
No, sky hub is a router. And yes, I have an Ethernet jack in the apartment (No ADSL).

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
No, sky hub is a router. And yes, I have an Ethernet jack in the apartment (No ADSL).

In that case, you can just plug the WAN port on the router into the ethernet jack in the apartment. Plug all other computers into the LAN ports. You may need to clone the mac address of one of your computers to the WAN NIC on the router so that you don't have to ask them to change the permitted MAC address.

TGRHavoc

Cadet
In that case, you can just plug the WAN port on the router into the ethernet jack in the apartment. Plug all other computers into the LAN ports. You may need to clone the mac address of one of your computers to the WAN NIC on the router so that you don't have to ask them to change the permitted MAC address.
Ok, I've just spent like 2 hours trying to get this to work but, I've had no luck.

What I've done:

Changed the router's LAN IP to match the IPs that the ISP give out (10.212.128.125 = router IP, netmask = 255.255.240.0).
I don't have a WAN port in the back of the router (only LAN ports afaik) so, I plugged the Ethernet cable from the wall into the router.
I've then connected my PC to the router (via Ethernet).
I've added the MAC address of the LAN ports of the router to the allowed devices (for internet connection).
PC connects to internet through the router (I think) but, is still using it's own MAC address and isn't being "translated".

Also, when I go onto the "attached devices" tab in the router I expect to see my PC connected but, I only see a device with the default gateway IP (10.212.128.1).

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I've been on my mobile till now. Your skyhub won't work because it is an adsl modem. Everything that you put into the yellow ethernet ports will be on the same LAN. Hence, it's not working.

You need something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704037 Note the blue ethernet port. This is your WAN interface. This is the one that you will connect to your wall. If you purchase this particular model, the yellow ports are only 10/100 ethernet ports. If you want gigabit speeds between server and clients, you will also need to purchase something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...6&cm_re=gigabit_switch-_-33-122-111-_-Product. In this case you will connect a yellow port on the wireless router to one of the gigabit switch ports. You will also connect server and all clients to the ports on the gigabit switch.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Ok, I've just spent like 2 hours trying to get this to work but, I've had no luck.

What I've done:

Changed the router's LAN IP to match the IPs that the ISP give out (10.212.128.125 = router IP, netmask = 255.255.240.0).
I don't have a WAN port in the back of the router (only LAN ports afaik) so, I plugged the Ethernet cable from the wall into the router.
I've then connected my PC to the router (via Ethernet).
I've added the MAC address of the LAN ports of the router to the allowed devices (for internet connection).
PC connects to internet through the router (I think) but, is still using it's own MAC address and isn't being "translated".

Also, when I go onto the "attached devices" tab in the router I expect to see my PC connected but, I only see a device with the default gateway IP (10.212.128.1).

It can't be a router without a port that handles a 'WAN' link....

I believe you have a fundamental break somewhere in the network logic.

Use a router.

Put your devices behind said router. All traffic from your devices traverses this router, and the network at the other end of the router thinks all traffic is coming from one device....this is how a NAT works...its pretty basic.

TGRHavoc

Cadet
I've been on my mobile till now. Your skyhub won't work because it is an adsl modem. Everything that you put into the yellow ethernet ports will be on the same LAN. Hence, it's not working.

You need something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704037 Note the blue ethernet port. This is your WAN interface. This is the one that you will connect to your wall. If you purchase this particular model, the yellow ports are only 10/100 ethernet ports. If you want gigabit speeds between server and clients, you will also need to purchase something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...6&cm_re=gigabit_switch-_-33-122-111-_-Product. In this case you will connect a yellow port on the wireless router to one of the gigabit switch ports. You will also connect server and all clients to the ports on the gigabit switch.
Ah, OK. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.