Fastest physical connection between TrueNAS and Mac?

EtienneB

Explorer
Hello, I am looking in getting a faster than 1Gb connection to my TrueNAS from a Macbook (or future Mac Mini).

My TrueNAS system has a Supermicro X10SL7-F board with 2 network onboard of 1GB and 2x RAIDZ-2 each of 8x WD Reds drives and 16Gb memory.

What I wonder is, if I install a 10Gb Network card in my NAS. Is it then possible to connect my Macbook (using thunderbolt3 to 10Gbps adapter or a Mac Mini with 10Gbps port) to the TrueNAS directly on the 10Gbs card and then go on the internet through my NAS via the 1GB onboard network which is connected to a switch?
Like this:
Mac <---> 10Gbps card <---> TrueNAS <---> 1Gbps port <---> 1Gbps Switch <---> ISP modem

I have read this so I think it should work using different IPs:

As far as I can see other alternatives like a direct connection using Thunderbolt 3 or USB 3 is not possible between TrueNAS and a MacBook.
Perhaps using a Windows VM on TrueNAS and then using direct USB 3 to the Mac?

Also, I think Windows 10 can do multichannel as I bootcamp into Windows 10 with Link Aggregation (2x 1Gb ports on the mac/switch/nas), I get better speeds Mac and TrueNAS don't talk that nice to each other I see. (apologies if I mixed up the vocabulary here).

Anyway, I am looking at the most economic way to get the fastest speed between my NAS and this Mac. Any thoughts are welcome.
Thanks in advance.

indy

Patron
Why does the MacBook need to access the Internet through your TrueNAS?
That seems like adding unnecessary complexity.

There is a nice tutorial on 10G basics if you have not read it yet:

EtienneB

Explorer
Why does the MacBook need to access the Internet through your TrueNAS?
That seems like adding unnecessary complexity.

There is a nice tutorial on 10G basics if you have not read it yet:
Thanks for that.

My line of thought was to get high speed access from my Mac to my server for files (like photo editing) without the need for extra cables to get to the internet.