rsyslog support (optional) in base system

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcj

Cadet
I'm trying to get systems on my network to use rsyslog to reliably log to a central rsyslog server.
From my initial exploration, it seems like there is a drop in rsyslog package for FreeBSD.
I'm not asking for rsyslog to replace syslog as the default, but that the rsyslog package be included in the base FreeNAS image, and then one could choose to enable it via rc.conf variables (FreeNAS support for this in 9.3?)
The result is that one could choose to change the syslog to rsyslog, and configure it to send (and queue if not available) a central rsyslog server.

Of course, that central rsyslog server may be implemented in a jail under FreeNAS :smile:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Feel free to put in a request at bugs.freenas.org.

To be honest though, I wouldn't hold my breath.

FreeNAS is meant to be as compatible with as many products as possible, and that means syslog. All the alternatives out there have their place, but they are almost universally less supported and less compatible.

dcj

Cadet
OK, I'll file a bug request.
Again, I am not proposing a change from standard syslog in the default configuration, I am proposing that the rsyslog package be installed (but not used) in the base image, which will enable the adventurous to use it instead, if they choose to do so, via changes to rc.conf

Status
Not open for further replies.