Status
Not open for further replies.

NASbox

Guru
I'm in the process of upgrading to FreeNAS v11U4. In the past I have not used any type of jails.

I am thinking about running a jail or VM or two on my freeNAS, but am a bit concerned if I am going to be making future upgrades hard.

In the past upgrades have been very, very easy. Just install the new S/W, and import the pools... everything has just worked fine.

I understand that jails/VMs are much less mature and if I understand what I read correctly, there are some significant changes coming for v11.1?

I would very much appreciate if someone who is connected with the development could provide some guidance/advice on this matter.

Thanks in advance for any advice/assistance you can offer.

m0nkey_

MVP
As of FreeNAS 11.1 (and if plans don't change) Jails will switch from warden to iocage, making managing jails easier. Currently, if you upgrade from FreeNAS 9.10 to 11, your jails will continue to work but you will not be able to compile any ports. Packages will continue to work. The ultimate solution then is to rebuild your jails from scratch.

With iocage, it'll be simple enough to select which release a Jail should run as, also making it easy to upgrade from FreeBSD 10.3 to 11.1 within the jail.

Now, as for existing jails created with warden, at this moment it's not really known to the community how the transition from warden to iocage is going to happen. There have been the odd snippit in the bug tracker, so something is happening. That being said, iX Systems have been known to not do anything and leave it up to the end user to go with the newer method.

NASbox

Guru
Thanks for the reply m0nkey... follow up questions:

What about VMs?

Any idea as to timeline for 11.1?

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.