SOLVED Jails future

Status
Not open for further replies.

f4242

Explorer
Hello,

I'm a new user to FreeNAS. I avoided Corral after testing it and found it was not mature enough and started with 9.10.

Since I knew that jails was removed in Corral, I avoided the use of jails to make the upgrading to Corral easiest.

Now that Corral is abandoned and FreeNAS 11 is coming soon with jails support, I wonder if I should still avoid the use of jails. VM is great, but not always the best tool. I don't care about plugins using jails as backend, just basic jail support. Do you still plan to remove them in a future release?

Thanks.

D

dlavigne

Definitely no plans to remove jails and they have always been in the 9.x series. They've also received some much needed love for the upcoming 11 release. 11-RC1 is expected next week so that would be a great time to start setting up your jails!

diedrichg

Wizard
They've also received some much needed love for the upcoming 11 release.
Could you provide a link with said information, please.

sremick

Patron
This is some really good news. I couldn't care less about docker... I have no interest in running stuff inside 3 onion layers of abstraction/virtualization and the performance hit that inherits. If I wanted to run my stuff in Linux, I wouldn't be running FreeNAS in the first place.

Jails work beautifully for me, and I hear about too many performance complaints about docker when trying to do the same stuff I'm doing. Since the stuff inside my jail is more CPU-intensive than the stuff outside the jail (FreeNAS itself), performance is key.

averyfreeman

Contributor
I am also really happy to hear this - I love Jails and the general "FreeBSD" way of doing things -- plus, I like putting all my softwares in the same FreeBSD jail so I don't have to re-configure stuff for each new pkg install... LONG LIVE JAILS on FreeNAS!! Feel free to re-visit the Docker setup in Bhyve, as it may be useful, but please also keep jails!

Status
Not open for further replies.