Jail/Virtual Machine Stability

NASbox

Guru
Since I'm no guru, I take a very cautious approach to upgrades since I depend on my FreeNAS and I don't feel confident of my ability remedy any problems caused by software that has a lot of outstanding issues. Due to the large number of outstanding issues with the UI upgrade I have been holding back on 11.1, and hence setting up jails/VMs because I don't want to have to cope with migration.

IIUC there were a lot of changes in Jails/Plugins/VMs between 11.1 and 11.2, and my question is:

Is an upgrade between 11.2-U3 and 11.3 going to bring along the plugins and jails automatically, or are jails/Plugins/VMs still very much a "work in progress" that are going to require a lot of maintenance when I upgrade FreeNAS?

Thanks in advance for any insights you can provide.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Just to share my experience. I went from 9.11-U6 to 11.2-U1. I had old warden jails (plex, tautulli) and decided to create iocage ones from scratch. What I anticipated was going to be a half of day tinkering to get them up and running actually took less than an hour. I created them manually from the CLI

What is your current situation? What jails do you have? Are they warden or iocage?

NASbox

Guru
Just to share my experience. I went from 9.11-U6 to 11.2-U1. I had old warden jails (plex, tautulli) and decided to create iocage ones from scratch. What I anticipated was going to be a half of day tinkering to get them up and running actually took less than an hour. I created them manually from the CLI

What is your current situation? What jails do you have? Are they warden or iocage?

I have yet to actually set anything up yet. I did briefly set up a ubuntu VM for testing, but I destroyed it since I didn't really have anything invested in it and I didn't want to have to worry about migration.

If I got everything I wanted, I would like to have a NextCloud, a SyncThing and a Ubuntu server VM that I could run a number of Docker images from like an invoicing program for my wife's business and possibly a CRM like EspoCRM. They would only be serving one or two users (i.e. not a heavy load), and they would accessed from behind the firewall (either a local PC, or possibly through a VPN). I might consider putting the NextCloud and the SyncThing on the VM to consolidate everything. (Thoughts?)

The FreeNAS box has an 8 Core i7 and 32GB of RAM, and it sits idle most of the time, so it has more than enough resources. My problem has been the know how/state of development of FreeNAS to support this type of thing.