How Stable are VMs Now?

NASbox

Guru
IIUC there were major changes made to the Jails/VMs between 11.1 and 11.2.

FreeNAS is at 11.2-U5, which is pretty close to the end of the 11.2 series, is an upgrade from 11.2 to 11.3 going to require a lot of VM maintenance?

I have been considering setting up a couple of VMs, but things seem to be pretty unstable, so I have been holding off.

Any input would be much appreciated.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
The future of FreeNAS seems still to be using iocage for jails (with warden as a legacy passenger) and bhyve for VMs, with the rancherOS/docker VM concept dying in 11.3 (up to the user to create a VM and put docker in it if they so desire).

I don't see any reason at this point that a VM/jail built in 11.2 would not continue to be OK to use in 11.3.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
It would seem like insanity as we're at pre-beta stage with 11.3 not to have the 11.3 version that goes to beta just having this patch in it.

Clearly 11.2 updates need to come ASAP too.

seanm

Guru
That SA was announced 2019-07-24, it would be nice to have these security updates fixed faster somehow. 2¢. :)

NASbox

Guru
The future of FreeNAS seems still to be using iocage for jails (with warden as a legacy passenger) and bhyve for VMs, with the rancherOS/docker VM concept dying in 11.3 (up to the user to create a VM and put docker in it if they so desire).

I don't see any reason at this point that a VM/jail built in 11.2 would not continue to be OK to use in 11.3.

Thanks for this... I was just wondering how reliable VMs are on FreeNAS? I've been useing VirtualBox on my PC and haven't had any issues in over a decade... it just works. Are FreeNAS machines reliable, or are they still buggy?

There is getting to be a lot of interesting "cloud" software lie NextCloud / CRM Software etc. that I would like to set up on a linux VM (likely with multiple Docker containers) for use within my own firewall (pr through a secure remote accesss VPN for use outside the firewall). My FreeNAS is on all the time, and very stable, so it is the logical place for this type of application.

I'd be very grateful if anyone who has experience with this type of thing would be willing to share their experiences.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Are FreeNAS machines reliable, or are they still buggy?
I have a few VMs (linux and Windows 10) that have run without interruption for months at a time.

I have not played a lot with memory allocation tunables, but I do note some instability when jails are running resource-heavy tasks on the same host for long periods. I presume this is to do with ARC more than anything, so tuning the ARC max value would be the first thing to look at to give your VMs guaranteed RAM.

seanm

Guru
There is getting to be a lot of interesting "cloud" software lie NextCloud / CRM Software etc. that I would like to set up on a linux VM (likely with multiple Docker containers) for use within my own firewall (pr through a secure remote accesss VPN for use outside the firewall). My FreeNAS is on all the time, and very stable, so it is the logical place for this type of application.

You can run nextcloud in a jail on your freenas. Should be less overhead than a VM. There are lots of threads on this forum about installing it.

NASbox

Guru
Thanks for the input @sretalla @seanm

I have a few VMs (linux and Windows 10) that have run without interruption for months at a time.

I have not played a lot with memory allocation tunables, but I do note some instability when jails are running resource-heavy tasks on the same host for long periods. I presume this is to do with ARC more than anything, so tuning the ARC max value would be the first thing to look at to give your VMs guaranteed RAM.

That does "instability" mean? Does the system hang? Data corruption? Freeze? or something else?

You can run nextcloud in a jail on your freenas. Should be less overhead than a VM. There are lots of threads on this forum about installing it.

Good to know.... Only reason I was thinking VM was control... How well are the packages updated? I was thinking that a small linux VM running docker may be the easiest way to have an easy to maintain system.

sretalla