Restore configuration didn't work in 9.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

avalon60

Guru
I have been running FreeNAS 9.2.1.8 and saved my configuration prior to what I thought would be an easy process of just upgrading to FreeNAS 9.3.

That didn't work because it complained about not enough space on the thumb drive., which was only 2GB.
So I then installed FreeNAS 9.3 on a 8GB thumb drive, thinking that after booing back into the webgui of FreeNAS 9.3 it would just be a matter of restoring the previous 9.2.1.8 configuration file.

Oh no, it wasn't that simple, and now my FreeNAS box is not seen on the network, I have no storage drives etc etc.

Any ideas as to why restoring the config file did not keep things as they were, and what is the best way to do that now?

Just one thing I have thought of ; is the new 9.3 build the x64bit version or x86bit, because I was running the x64bit version of FreeNAS 9.2.1.8 before.

Thanks

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

9.3 is 64-bit only.

The config has nothing to do with your storage drives, as they are separate. Are they formatted with UFS or ZFS?

Did the system get an IP address?

avalon60

Guru
The storage drives are formatted ZFS and yes the system was given an IP address.

D

dlavigne

Do your volumes show in View Volumes? If not, can you import them?

Regarding not seen on network, what type of shares? Any errors in /var/log/messages?

avalon60

Guru
I have put the original 2GB 9.2.1.8 usb stick I kept back into the FreeNAS box, and it booted up ok and I am now back to where I was yesterday.
I will keep it like this until I can get a 8GB usb stick sorted out.
I am having problems installing Freenas on the 8GB stick at the moment, it keeps telling me the installation has failed.
I'll get the error message and post it back here

avalon60

Guru
When trying to install FreeNAS 9.2.1.8 onto a Sandisk 8GB usb stick I get : BTX has halted, then it just stops so I have to manually reboot.

When trying to installnFreeNAS 9.3 onto a different Sandisk 8GB usb stick I get:
ERROR 5 untryable, and this is to do with INSTALL READ (offset 127350784 Installer package not found exception
Install has failed.

I am using re writeable CDs and have zapped both USB sticks before trying to install FreeNAS.

I don't know if the above errors are to do with the USB sticks , the CD's or the actual iso file which I have downloaded.

D

dlavigne

Make sure the sha256 is correct for the ISO and try burning the CD at a lower speed. If the installed stick still doesn't boot, check your BIOS options.

avalon60

Guru
The burning speed seemed to be the problem as both FreeNAS 9.2.1.8 and 9.3 was installed on each usb stick succesfully.

After trying the 8GB stick with 9.2.1.8 on in my NAS box, I get an error message telling me that the GPT partition on da0 was corrupt, and then says :
use the secondary instead- - recovery strongly advised.

I have just logged into FreeNAS 9.3 now, and as before there are no cif shares or anything even though I have restored/uploaded the previously save configuration from 9.2.1.8 version

There are no volumes shown at all in volumes under storage.

D

dlavigne

I have just logged into FreeNAS 9.3 now, and as before there are no cif shares or anything even though I have restored/uploaded the previously save configuration from 9.2.1.8 version
There are no volumes shown at all in volumes under storage.

Does "Import Volume" work? If not, post the errors.

avalon60

Guru
ok, after importing the volumes, I now get this warning message : WARNING: New feature flags are available for volume WinShare. Refer to the "Upgrading a ZFS Pool" section of the User Guide for instructions.

I also have a Backup volume, for which there is the same warning.

D

dlavigne

Yup, that is to be expected. Be sure to read the referred to section of the 9.3 docs mentioned in the alert to determine whether or not you want to disable the alert or upgrade the pool.

avalon60

Guru
Just an observation here.

When I installed FreeNAS 9.2.1.8 onto a 8GB Sandisk Cruzer USB stick, I found that FreeNAS had partitioned the stick into about 4 partitions:
1st : 943mb was used,
2nd : 943mb,
3rd : 20mb. then
4th : 1mb,
leaving the remaining 5GB plus was left unused. When I used that usb drive to boot into FreeNAS, it complained about a GPT partition table being corrupt.

So I then installed 9.2.1.8 on a Kingston Data traveller 8GB usb drive, and this time it complained that it:
can't exec /bin/sh for /etc/rc: Not a directory.
Enter the full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:

Now when I installed FreeNAS 9.3 onto another 8GB usb stick, the stick was not partitioned, and it boots FreeNAS just fine.

Update:
I finally managed to get FreeNAS 9.2.1.8 installed on yet another USB drive. This time it was a 16GB Sandisk Cruzer Blade drive, and it has booted up the FreeNAS webGUI without any errors at all. I then uploaded my previously saved config file and everything is tickyit boo now. So there is no danger of running out of space now for any future upgrades etc

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.