Can I Import a List of SMB Shares from a Previous Volume?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob p

Dabbler
I've just completed an upgrade from 9.2.1.7 to 9.3 release. I have several backups of the old configuration files.

After completing the upgrade to 9.3, I decided to replace my RAIDZ2 volume and rebuild a new one, this time as a RAIDZ1 volume. I needed to replace the old RAIDZ2 volume because it was build on an older version of FreeNAS, and the more recent 9.2.x versions didn't like the block size that was chosen during the original volume creation. As a result, the system status indicator in 9.2.1.7 was always issueing a yellow-alert because the volume was not configured "optimally". Now that I was performing an upgrade to 9.3-release, I decided to address the problem.

So I backed up the contents of the RAIDZ2 volume offline, and created a new RAIDZ1 volume. I'm in the process of restoring the backed-up data to the new volume as I type this.

When running through the updated configuration for 9.3-release, I noticed something interesting:

* The old Rsync tasks remained in the configuration file, so the updated freenas installation continues to perform rsyncs on all of my existing clients.
* The old SMB share configuration files are gone. The new updated Freenas 9.3-release doesn't have any of the SMB share information. That's quite troublesome, as I have a dozen share configurations that are now MIA.

I imagine that the SMB shares were blasted away by the process of removing the original RAIDZ2 volume, so that now that I'll be restoring the same data back to the new RAIDZ1 volume, all of the SMB shares will have to be reconfigured.

Is there any way to restore the SMB configuration information from any of the pre-existing configuration files? Or am I hosed?

TIA.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Short answer: Nope.

Long answer: If the locations are exactly the same as the old pool, you could probably import your old config and be okay with it. But don't be surprised if there is gremlins hiding for you later.

I'm not sure why you'd go from RAIDZ2 to RAIDZ1. If you read around here we have a couple of people a week that lose their pools because they went with RAIDZ1.

bob p

Dabbler
The locations are exactly the same in the new pool as they were in the old one. The old pool and the new pool even have the same names, file paths, etc., with the only difference being that the old pool was a Z2 and the new pool is a Z1. I was hoping that I'd get an answer suggesting that there are some symlinks that got molested when I deleted the zpool, and that they still exist and just need to be fixed by hand. I'm happy to do the repair at the command line if that is feasible, but I'm not so thrilled about blindly applying a GUI fix that uses what we know to be a configuration file from the wrong (non-current) software installation. That sounds like asking for trouble. I'm hoping for a clean command line fix. If anyone can point me to the right location, I'd appreciate it.

As far as Z1 goes, this box is being used as a training platform, not as a production server. The data is redundantly stored on a production distributed file system, so in the big scheme of things, it wouldn't matter if the freenas box were to burst into flames.

Status
Not open for further replies.