Should I Upgrade Or Should I Not Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

NicCrockett

Dabbler
I've got a FreeNAS 9.3 system that I'm thinking about upgrading to version 9.10. Question is will I run into any problems with my current hardware configuration? You can see my hardware config in my signature. I currently have FreeNAS installed on the USB flash drive. I'm not using deduplication on the RAIDZ2 volume. It's not connected to Active Directory. The system is fairly basic, 5-6 servers backup to it at night and I store a few miscellaneous files there. From what I've read in the documentation I'm ok to upgrade, but I thought I'd get other users opinions before making the jump.

Thanks,
Nic

toadman

Guru
One school of thought says if it's working as you desire then don't upgrade. No upside and a lot of potential downside. Especially on a "simple" system as you describe. If you do decide to upgrade, make sure you have an easy roll back path if it causes issues. (Like make a copy of the USB stick before you upgrade it, then worst case you can just pop in the copy of the USB stick and you should be back to where you started.)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
9.3 will be supported for a while with security patches. If you don't see a pressing need, don't rush it.

NicCrockett

Dabbler
Do we know how long 9.3 will be supported?

Sakuru

Guru
I believe they said 1 year.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I believe they said 1 year.
I remember something like that, but I can't find a quote.

I think the 1 year might be for 9.10 after 10 comes out.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
9.3 is going to be "unsupported" very soon (the last build may already be out?) but 9.10 will be supported for quite a while longer. 9.10 came about only because the FreeBSD 9.3 kernel is going out of support very soon and we needed to jump to something that wasn't going to be EOL soon.

So 9.3.x is, to be blunt, effectively EOL. You might see another release. But you shouldn't expect more than that. If I'm not mistaken, if you are running the latest build from the 9.3.1 train you'll find an alert message that says you need to switch trains to continue to get updates.

Long live 9.10+! :P

The intent is to support 9.10 for a year (or perhaps more?) after FreeNAS 10 comes out. Of course, YMMV and I could be out of date, etc.

HTH.

Sakuru

Guru
9.3 is going to be "unsupported" very soon (the last build may already be out?) but 9.10 will be supported for quite a while longer. 9.10 came about only because the FreeBSD 9.3 kernel is going out of support very soon and we needed to jump to something that wasn't going to be EOL soon.

So 9.3.x is, to be blunt, effectively EOL. You might see another release. But you shouldn't expect more than that. If I'm not mistaken, if you are running the latest build from the 9.3.1 train you'll find an alert message that says you need to switch trains to continue to get updates.

Long live 9.10+! :p

The intent is to support 9.10 for a year (or perhaps more?) after FreeNAS 10 comes out. Of course, YMMV and I could be out of date, etc.

HTH.

Really? Wow, I've been telling people the wrong thing. Oops.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, things have had to change a bit. I could also be outdated or inaccurate. BUT, last I heard that was the story. The whole 9.10 thing wasn't really "planned" so to speak. I felt like it was more out of necessity because FreeNAS 10 hasn't come out and we didn't want to be in a situation where 9.3 was EOL'd by FreeBSD and FreeNAS 10 was just starting to hit mainstream use. You know what I mean?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Well that kinda sucks. With all the reported jail issues with 9.10 I've been a bit reluctant to update. I guess I may have to suck it up and just plan for the worst so I'm ready to deal with it.

Sakuru

Guru
@Jailer
An update came out today that should fix most/all of the jail issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.