Remove stripe from volume?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Doyle

Cadet
Hi everyone, I hope someone can help with this problem.

I suffered a failed disk in my mirrored volume, therefore I removed this disk and replaced with a new one. I intended to then go into Volume Status and Replace the disk, however whilst clicking around I inadvertently added the disk as a stripe within Volume Manager and Freenas now reports the Volume Status as shown below - is it possible to remove this stripe and use the disk as originally intended to replace the UNAVAIL disk in mirror-1?

SJUHLV5.png

SJUHLV5

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
is it possible to remove this stripe and use the disk as originally intended to replace the UNAVAIL disk in mirror-1?
No, the disk must now remain part of the volume "tank" until you get your data off (or restore from a backup) and rebuild it.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Yep, what @BigDave said, once you create a vdev, you can not change it without destroying it and rebuilding it.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Since you're running a pool of mirrors, you have the option of mirroring the new stripe (instead of rebuilding the entire pool), assuming your system can accommodate two more drives. You will have to use the zpool attach CLI command.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Add another disk and mirror that stripe.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Daniel Doyle

Cadet
Thanks for the quick responses, I feared that a rebuild would be necessary. Unfortunately I can't mirror the stripe as I'm using an HP MicroServer that only has 4 drive bays, which are populated.

I terms of rebuilding the pool, after backing up the data to an external device, do I need to destroy everything (jails, cifs, etc) - essentially start from scratch and once complete copy the files back from the external drive?

Thanks. Dan.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Basically destroy everything. This includes all data content, datasets, jails, and permissions. Anything that is on your pool will go away.

You could probably do it without having to reconfigure everything but could end up being more work than just reconfiguring everything.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
do I need to destroy everything
Yes, you need to destroy the pool, but you don't have to do that piecemeal, just detach the pool and check the box to mark the disks as new.

Also, you don't have to lose everything. There are procedures for backing up and restoring jails (forum search) that you could follow. Whether they're worth the trouble depends on how much time you have invested in the current setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.