Volume (Spare & Raidz)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frosch1482

Dabbler
Hi,

I noticed that the LCC of my drives reaches the maximum number of LCC according to the manufacturer (300.000).
Now I want to replace the drives by new ones.

Checking the details of the volume i found something strange, which I cannot understand

Following is shown in volume status:
Volume name: Data
Stripe --> ada3p2
Raidz1-0 --> ada1p2, ada0p2, ada2p2

Does this mean that my volume Data consists of a Raidz and a Stripe? Why was disk ada3p2 not added to the Raidz?
How can I understand which data is stored on the ada3p2 disk, or is it possible to include this disk in the Raidz configuration?

Thank you

indy

Patron
Post the output of 'zpool status' in code tags.

Frosch1482

Dabbler
Output of zpool status

Code:
    NAME                                            STATE    READ WRITE CKSUM
    Data                                            ONLINE      0    0    0
      raidz1-0                                      ONLINE      0    0    0
        gptid/e7a3ed44-3b3a-11e3-b72c-bc5ff4c48058  ONLINE      0    0    0
        gptid/e8915c0b-3b3a-11e3-b72c-bc5ff4c48058  ONLINE      0    0    0
        gptid/e97fc6e1-3b3a-11e3-b72c-bc5ff4c48058  ONLINE      0    0    0
      gptid/e72833fc-3f26-11e3-927f-bc5ff4c48058    ONLINE      0    0    0

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Checking the details of the volume i found something strange, which I cannot understand

Following is shown in volume status:
Volume name: Data
Stripe --> ada3p2
Raidz1-0 --> ada1p2, ada0p2, ada2p2

Does this mean that my volume Data consists of a Raidz and a Stripe? Why was disk ada3p2 not added to the Raidz?

Why was the disk not added? Because you can't add storage to vdevs after the vdev has been created. This is ZFS 101. Apparently you didn't get the memo...

How can I understand which data is stored on the ada3p2 disk, or is it possible to include this disk in the Raidz configuration?

It is inconsequential to know what disk is stored on ada3p2. If you lose ada3 you lose ALL data in the pool. And since there's no recovery options for ZFS, you're in a bad way if ada3 even sneezes.

Now you see why I put my guide on the forum and try to get people to read it so they don't do exactly what you did. You made the classic mistake that is "Example 3" in my noobie guide.

So you need to go get another disk and make the vdev that ada3 is in into a mirror so you have some redundancy from ada3's failure. The other option is to backup your pool, destroy the pool, then restore from backup. But in any case, you have some emergency actions that you need to take before things go badly for you. And believe me, they will go badly if you don't do something soon. Plenty of examples in the forum of lost data if you need assurance that what you did is a bad idea. :(

gpsguy

Yes.

Why? I presume you thought you could expand the pool by adding another drive into the existing vdev.
You can't add additional disks to an existing vdev. You can make new ones and add them to the pool.

At this point, if ada3 dies, you'll lose the entire pool.

At a minimum, I'd get another disk and mirror ada3. You'd have to use the command line to do it, but would give you some immediate protection. Especially in light of the LCC issue. The long term fix, would be to back up everything, destroy your pool and start over, with all 4 drives in the same pool.

Since you were planning to replace the drives, can you squeeze 4 new ones in the same box? If so, you could create the new pool and replicate the data to the new set of drives.

Are you using WD Greens? If so, you should have run wdidle on them to prevent the LCC errors from getting that high.

Frosch1482

Dabbler
Thank you for the explanation.
As I´m going to replace the entire pool it will not be a big issue. The data stored on that pool is not so important. In case everything goes wrong I have a backup of the most important data on an external usb disk.

gpsguy is right: I thougt that I could extend the existing volume by adding another drive (now i learned that this doesn´t work :))

Cyberjock: where can I find your noobie guide? Maybe I should read it ;)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Cyberjock: where can I find your noobie guide? Maybe I should read it ;)

The only red text on the page could bite you if it was a snake... /lol

Status
Not open for further replies.