Lost one disk, resilvered, but lost data

Status
Not open for further replies.

ubellavance

Dabbler
Hi,

We lost a disk in a FreeNAS machine last week. We replaced the drive itself, then did the zpool replace command. Here is the output of the zpool status command for this volume:
Code:
[root@atq-nasr-1] ~# zpool status volume1
  pool: volume1
 state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
        corruption.  Applications may be affected.
action: Restore the file in question if possible.  Otherwise restore the
        entire pool from backup.
   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-8A
 scrub: resilver completed after 0h1m with 10180 errors on Mon Feb 11 09:47:04 2013
config:

NAME                        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        volume1                     DEGRADED     0     0 38.0K
          raidz1                    DEGRADED     0     0  103K
            ada2p2                  UNAVAIL      0     0     0  cannot open
            replacing               DEGRADED     0     0     0
              18279147940933226290  UNAVAIL      0     0     0  was /dev/ada1p2
              ada1                  ONLINE       0     0     0  3.87M resilvered
            ada0p2                  ONLINE       0     0     0
            ada3p2                  ONLINE       0     0     0
            ada4p2                  ONLINE       0     0     0

Now it looks like we have lost data on the volume. I have a backup of part of it, but not all. Using -v shows me files and directories that seems to have been lost. Is it normal to loose data with one drive failure on a raidz volume? Would it be possible to recover some of the data?

Thanks,

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
Were you performing scheduled scrubs on that volume? Without regular scrubs to repair data that became corrupted, when you lose a disk those errors can become unrecoverable.

ubellavance

Dabbler
Hmm, no. No scrubs were performed. I thought that ZFS was doing integrity checks on each writes. Honestly, I did wonder why scrub was available. Is scrubbing very io-intensive?

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
A scrub is needed to repair bit rot and the like, and it also checks for errors through the whole filesystem (not just recently written parts). And yes, a scrub will impact performance if the box is under load. That's why the usual scrub recommendation is something like sunday at 2am every 5 weeks.

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
Do you have backups? If not, you might be out of luck. What does zpool status say after the replacement is done? DEGRADED usually means some functionality can be sustained.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
This may be the result of not using dual redundancy. If you lose 1 disk and any other disk has any bad sectors or bit-rot you WILL have data/file system corruption.

I don't recommend mirrors personally because of the same issue. If you lose 1 disk in the mirror and the other disk has any bad sectors or bitrot you will lose data.

I'm not sure if 3 disk mirrors are supported, but at that point you are paying 3x over for the disk space so I wouldn't recommend that anyway.

Edit: Scrubs are a MUST if you use ZFS. Without it your data may be corrupted and you won't know it until you read it. If you already have a bad disk you are in the "no redundancy and bad data" category.

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
3-way mirrors are supported through the command line. cyberjock is right though: if data protection is your priority, two-disk redundancy, regular scrubs, and backups are all required.

ubellavance

Dabbler
I installed 8.3 on an usb stick and booted on this one instead. I did an auto-import and I can now see (at least some, if not all) my data that disappeared when booted on 8.0.1. Am I lucky? I have copied some files via scp to my computer and I can open them.

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
Very lucky indeed. Watch out for more subtle forms of corruption than lost files though. If the checksums don't match, SOMETHING must have changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.