Remotely access SMB folders

Max90

Explorer
Dear, how can I remotely access SMB folders?
Currently I access via SMB protocol via computer or smartphone from LAN. I wish I could access remotely.
What is the best way to access network folders?
Use the SSH protocol? Is it possible to use the SMB protocol directly by doing a port forwording from the router? If so, which ports are the ones to use?

Thanks

Do not port forward your NAS directly to the internet. That is a monstrously bad idea. It puts your data and home network at risk to potential ransomware or other malicious attacks.

Your ISP will likely block SMB ports, so you will need to use a VPN. TrueNAS has OpenVPN server built in. There are other options depending on your network kit (router, firewall, etc.)

Then access your NAS securely via VPN from smartphone or computer, then you can securely access NAS SMB shares, SSH, any protocol, etc.

I do it all the time from my iPhone and Mac, but I use IPSec VPN on my pfSense firewall. IPSec is built in to iOS and macOS, which eliminates the need to install a separate VPN client. It just works!

Last edited:

Max90

Explorer
Do not port forward your NAS directly to the internet. That is a monstrously bad idea. It puts your data and home network at risk to potential ransomware or other malicious attacks.

Your ISP will likely block SMB ports, so you will need to use a VPN. TrueNAS has OpenVPN server built in. There are other options depending on your network kit (router, firewall, etc.)

Then access your NAS securely via VPN from smartphone or computer, then you can securely access NAS SMB shares, SSH, any protocol, etc.

I do it all the time from my iPhone and Mac, but I use IPSec VPN on my pfSense firewall. IPSec is built in to iOS and macOS, which eliminates the need to install a separate VPN client. It just works!
you are right.
But I would like to find a way to connect without installing anything on the client, using apps like "File Manager +". How can I do?

If I configure OpenVPN, can I then connect from my smartphone simply with the connection data?

If you use OpenVPN, you will need to install the OpenVPN client on the client devices.

Once you you have it configured and enabled on the client, you can access shares using SMB protocol.

You can simply prefix the LAN IP address of your NAS with smb://{IP address}

On iOS you can use the built in Files app. You will need to find an equivalent Android app if File Manager+ does not support SMB

IMG_0760.PNG

Max90

Explorer
If you use OpenVPN, you will need to install the OpenVPN client on the client devices.

Once you you have it configured and enabled on the client, you can access shares using SMB protocol.

You can simply prefix the LAN IP address of your NAS with smb://{IP address}

On iOS you can use the built in Files app. You will need to find an equivalent Android app if File Manager+ does not support SMB

View attachment 49705
File manager on my android supports SMB. But do I need to install the OpenVPN app in addition to configuring the nas?

Yes

see links in previous posts

Max90

Explorer
why when i download the ceriticate for a client, from vpn server, go to error:
[EFAULT] Please ensure provided client certificate is valid, following errors were found: 1) Client certificate requires common name (CN) to be set to verify properly.

Max90

Explorer
see links in previous posts
I managed to configure the vpn on the smartphone and on the nas and I'm connected.
Now I have to connect to the network folders. I had already set the local ip address with "file manager +" for the SMB connection and from the local network it works. While when I try to access once connected to the vpn no, why?

Last edited:

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Another option is to connect your whole home network via OpenVPN, WireGuard, or IPSec. For example, with Edgerouters, it makes sense to use IPSec on account of edgerouters having dedicated encryption hardware for IPSec, which in turn minimizes the performance penalty associated with running an encrypted protocol between locations.

Keep in mind that just about every ISP in the US throttles upload speeds. Symmetric upload and download speeds are usually limited to business accounts and fiber. Thus, don't expect amazing throughput unless you spend the bucks to get fast up and download speeds.

Absent a super fast connection, another option is setting up a second NAS at the remote site - kill two birds with one stone, i.e. get the benefit of low latency and a offsite copy of your content. Downside obviously is the cost of buying and operating the second NAS, never mind the issues associated with keeping both NAS' synchronized.

Max90

Explorer
I managed to configure the vpn on the smartphone and on the nas and I'm connected.
Now I have to connect to the network folders. I had already set the local ip address with "file manager +" for the SMB connection and from the local network it works. While when I try to access once connected to the vpn no, why?
Setting up with OpenVPN is fine but I have the problem listed in the quote. How can I solve?

sretalla