FreeNAS Access Remotely

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been trying to remotely access my FreeNAS 10, SMB share remotely for about a week now. Trying different port forwards and such but I cannot seem to get access to it when I try to map a network drive on my laptop on a different network. I can access the GUI just fine remotely by port forwarding the port 80, but the SMB share declines my attempts to connect. I can tell that it is receiving them and pinging the machine, just doesn't seem to be allowing the connections.

Does anyone know how to port forward and gain access to a SMB share without a VPN or SSH?

Before you post about it being "unsecured" and such, I do not care, I just want to simply port forward an SMB share so I can access it remotely.

Last edited by a moderator:

m0nkey_

MVP
OK, couple of things.

Samba does not listen on port 80. That would be the HTTP server presenting the FreeNAS UI.

Exposing Samba to the Internet is bad, no matter how much you don't care. There could be a countless number of remote execution exploits.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Does anyone know how to port forward and gain access to a SMB share without a VPN or SSH?
Yeah, that's a very, very bad idea. In many cases, it's literally criminally negligent.

OK, couple of things.

Samba does not listen on port 80. That would be the HTTP server presenting the FreeNAS UI.

Exposing Samba to the Internet is bad, no matter how much you don't care. There could be a countless number of remote execution exploits.

I know I said that I was able to access the web GUI via port 80 on http. I am aware it is bad to expose samba to this internet, once again I don't care. Its my setup and I want to do it how I want to. Its not like I have NASA documents stored on my nas. I just need easy access to a few doc files while I am at school and using a VPN or SSH is not an easy/ideal solution.

Yeah, that's a very, very bad idea. In many cases, it's literally criminally negligent.
I do not care.

m0nkey_

MVP
I just need easy access to a few doc files while I am at school
It's very likely that SMB connections from your school will be blocked by their firewall. Any sane network administrator would block this protocol to/from the Internet. VPN or SSH on the other hand are secure protocols and one or the other will work though your school's firewall, unless of course they're blocking that too.

To say you don't care is irresponsible. Your server could end up becoming part of a botnet.

sunrunner20

Cadet
05onfire1_xp-facebookJumbo.jpg

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I do not care.
Yeah, well, we're not in the habit of enabling others' very bad ideas. I hear there's this Linus guy who does that a lot. Not Torvalds, he actively shuts down very bad ideas with extreme prejudice.

It's very likely that SMB connections from your school will be blocked by their firewall. Any sane network administrator would block this protocol to/from the Internet. VPN or SSH on the other hand are secure protocols and one or the other will work though your school's firewall, unless of course they're blocking that too.

To say you don't care is irresponsible. Your server could end up becoming part of a botnet.

I dont use my schools network for connecting to the internet I use my own wifi hotspot as it doesnt have any restrictions and surprisingly by testing has faster speeds than my schools wifi so restrictions aren't a problem.

and "could" is the thing. It "could" but the reality of that happening is minimal. I have been running a server with linux debian using SMB shares port forwarded for a few months now and I can easily access it anytime I want, I just can't figure out why its not working with freenas.

diedrichg

Wizard
VPN is not a hindrance at all. It takes only a password to connect to your network, be it through your phone or computer.

VPN is not a hindrance at all. It takes only a password to connect to your network, be it through your phone or computer.
How is that different than it taking a password to log into my samba shares? I literally don't see a difference.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
How is that different than it taking a password to log into my samba shares? I literally don't see a difference.
One is designed to be exposed to the internet, the other isn't.

Since this is going nowhere, please consider this thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.