How to access my SABnzbd remotely?

Mohkhasa

Cadet
Hello,

I am fairly new to TrueNAS, this is my first setup, I installed TrueNAS, Plex, SABnzbd,
and I simply want to access my SABnzbd page remotely:
(http://192.168.100.219:8090/sabnzbd/) -> ("address".dyndns.org)
I want to be able to request files to download remotely, been searching and reading all day,
but can't seem to find the best solution, should I use OpenVPN, change the jail DHCP/IPv4/IPv6 settings, or enable Dynamic DNS service,
or is there any other recommended solution? as you can see I am very lost on how to get this done.

Would appreciate it if someone could point me to the right direction.

Thank you in advance.

danb35

Hall of Famer
There are two major pieces that you'll need in order for this to work:
  • You'll need an address that will reliably reach your home Internet connection
  • You'll need a way for you, and only you (or others you authorize), to reach resources on your LAN.
For the first, assuming you don't have a static IP address at home like I do (nice, but expensive), you'll use some sort of Dynamic DNS service. This will associate mohkhasa.dyndns.org (or whatever) with your IP address, and when the IP changes, will update that record.

For the second, you have lots of options. The main ones are:
  • Run a VPN server
    • Popular options here include OpenVPN, Wireguard, and IPsec
    • ZeroTier and Tailscale are possibilities as well, and if you run them within the SAB jail, you probably don't need the dynamic DNS at all
  • Use a reverse proxy
    • Options here include Caddy, Traefik, HAProxy, and Nginx (particularly with Nginx Proxy Manager)
    • Ideally you'd have your reverse proxy handle authentication, maybe even with 2FA
  • Just forward a port to the SAB jail
    • You'd then want SABnzbd to speak HTTPS, so you'd need a certificate for it, and you'd also want to set a secure password for it
Personally, I'd vote for the VPN server using OpenVPN. Set it up to require user certificates to connect and you should be very secure. There are client apps for your phone, tablet, laptop, whatever, and once you're connected, you have access to your entire network from wherever you are.

And then the question becomes, where are you going to run this stuff? My preference, if you can, is to run it on your router. If you use OPNsense (like I do) or pfSense, they can handle these tasks easily. A Unifi router should be able to as well. Some other consumer-level routers can too; you may want to check the docs on yours to see if it's possible. If you can't run it on your router, TrueNAS can act as an OpenVPN server and can handle at least some dynamic DNS updating.

Mohkhasa

Cadet
Thank you Danb for the clear explanation and for your time!

I will look into how to setup VPN server using OpenVPN.

Mohkhasa

Cadet
I followed the instructions in the below videos (mainly the first one):

And I managed to access my TrueNAS main dashboard page using OpenVPN,
But it worked only for TrueNAS main directory, and when I try to access my SABnzbd page I get
This site can't be reached 192.168.100.219 is currently unreachable. ERR_CONNECTION_FAILED

I guess one of the following is causing the problem since my modem/setup is different than the video:
- I am using 192.168.100.0 instead of 192.168.0.0
- I am using a different router, in the video, he showed "Add a rule for port forwarding services by user",
and on my router I didn't have the same option or wording, instead, I used:
"Forward Rules" -> "Port Mapping Configuration"
I am not sure about these steps and only managed to access my main TrueNAS page and not all my local network which is what I want.

In other words, I managed to access 192.168.100.219 but not 192.168.100.219:8090

Any advice?

danb35

Hall of Famer
I am using a different router, in the video, he showed "Add a rule for port forwarding services by user",
and on my router I didn't have the same option or wording, instead, I used:
"Forward Rules" -> "Port Mapping Configuration"
Which port(s) did you forward, and which protocols for those ports? Edit: It looks like this video also gives two scenarios, one giving access to the entire subnet and the other just giving access to the NAS. Which one did you follow?

Last edited:

Mohkhasa

Cadet
Which port(s) did you forward,
I watched the entire two videos before attempting to start the process, just to avoid these kinds of errors.
I used port1197 (since he mentioned using something other than the default value) I also applied that to the rest of the instructions.

and which protocols for those ports?
I used UDP, he mentioned in the 2nd video that it's faster than TCP in most cases. but I also tried TCP and adjusted the rest accordingly

Edit: It looks like this video also gives two scenarios, one giving access to the entire subnet and the other just giving access to the NAS. Which one did you follow?
I followed the first scenario, the one that gives access to the entire subnet.

Thank you danb for your time, really appreciate it.