ACL issue with folders in SMB

Lord Byte

Cadet
I am really new to this and I am having a hell of a time finding good and useful information on TrueNAS/FreeNAS or even that's pertinent to my needs.

Because I had issues getting an FTP account working that was not locked into into its home directory (I assume one can "mount" virtual links to other locations? - I eventually broke and removed CHROOT), I used SMB to access my datasets and start uploading some files and folders... The problem is (or seems to be after much gnashing and hair-pulling) that any folders I transferred over are invisible to any other user, because they are owned by the user I made to access the Datasets over SMB.

Windows itself does not allow me to change access rights for the folders I made, I have no idea how to do that (and it would quite likely take a ton of time) through the shell. Any other accounts (even in the same groups - groups that own the datasets - of my account), cannot see any subfolders in the Dataset (or hence, change them).
I tried using "edit ACL" -> "Apply permissions recursively", but either that doesn't work or doesn't do what it says on the tin. Too many things in the ACL are black box (to me).

So my question is (or rather... are):
- How do I evade future subfolders (and the files therein) from being unreadable to the rest of the system with access to those data because the files are (and unchangeable in windows) owned by the user putting them there?
- How do I somehow change the ownership of those folders again to well... preferably a group... And if the above is not possibly, maybe create a cron job or something to automate this behaviour?

(The idea is that files transferred over are then used by a DLNA / Media sharing server - that's when the problem showed, forcing me to eventually run a custom jail with miniDLNA, and it still didn't show the folders)

Lord Byte

Cadet
This is unfortunately a known bug in U4. We have a fix on the way.
Which one? That the subfolders are not visible because of the user issue? Or that the "Apply permissions recursively" doesn't work?
It seems that any files and folders I upload through FTP are actually visible.

KrisBee

Wizard
@anodos Any ETA for the fix to this U4 ACL regression? Will this be a hot fix FN11.3-U4.1? I has hoping to finally upgrade from FN11.2-U8, which needs some ACL re-configuration. I'd prefer not to have fall back on setfacl/winacl.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
@anodos Any ETA for the fix to this U4 ACL regression? Will this be a hot fix FN11.3-U4.1? I has hoping to finally upgrade from FN11.2-U8, which needs some ACL re-configuration. I'd prefer not to have fall back on setfacl/winacl.
Should be soon. Probably this week. In your situation I'd hold off the upgrade until the fix is released.

elorimer

Contributor
I have this problem as well in 12.0