Reconfiguring an older Freenas box

Status
Not open for further replies.

91 XR7

Cadet
Please be kind to me, as i know very little as to what i do.

Got a "vintage" setup (Intel E2160 @ 1.8Ghz, Asus p5GC-MX/1333, 2 Gigs of ram (2 x 1) with a 120, 320 and 500 gig HDDs (120 by itself for fun, 320/500 in a "mirror"/ raid 1 setup)) that i'm using as a simple NAS to hold basically a Documents (PDR, Word, ect) and Photos mostly. Running Freenas 8.0.4 P2 X64 (11706), Been running fine for over 2 years now with only down time being when we've had power failures! So been very happy with it.

now i recently got another "throw away" computer. which consists of a Intel E5200 (2.5ghz), 4 gigs of memory (4 x 1g), A 500 gig HDD, but on a Dell 0m017G MB (think Dell Studio 540S).

I have added the 500 gig HDD and added to my "storage" Zpool using the "replace" function under Storage -> View Disks. And after detaching the 320 from the pool and restarting i got that Zpool up to the 500 gig level.

Which brings me to my questions;

1) Now being the 120 is all by itself, and i now would like to use the 320g hdd for that, how does one go about that? Same process as above, got to storage -> View disks for that volume and just do replace disk and that's it? Being there is no "backup" (IE mirror) of that drive is my main concern.

2) Would it even be worth while swapping out the CPU from the Dell MB to the Asus MB? But it'll also mean i won't be able to use the 4 gigs of memory. Or should i just swap everything over the the Dell MB? (Which means new keyboard, since that MB doesn't except PS/2 keyboards (which i have a spare of) ?

Thank You
Kevin

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Please be kind to me, as i know very little as to what i do.

Got a "vintage" setup (Intel E2160 @ 1.8Ghz, Asus p5GC-MX/1333, 2 Gigs of ram (2 x 1) with a 120, 320 and 500 gig HDDs (120 by itself for fun, 320/500 in a "mirror"/ raid 1 setup)) that i'm using as a simple NAS to hold basically a Documents (PDR, Word, ect) and Photos mostly. Running Freenas 8.0.4 P2 X64 (11706), Been running fine for over 2 years now with only down time being when we've had power failures! So been very happy with it.

now i recently got another "throw away" computer. which consists of a Intel E5200 (2.5ghz), 4 gigs of memory (4 x 1g), A 500 gig HDD, but on a Dell 0m017G MB (think Dell Studio 540S).

I have added the 500 gig HDD and added to my "storage" Zpool using the "replace" function under Storage -> View Disks. And after detaching the 320 from the pool and restarting i got that Zpool up to the 500 gig level.

Which brings me to my questions;

1) Now being the 120 is all by itself, and i now would like to use the 320g hdd for that, how does one go about that? Same process as above, got to storage -> View disks for that volume and just do replace disk and that's it? Being there is no "backup" (IE mirror) of that drive is my main concern.

2) Would it even be worth while swapping out the CPU from the Dell MB to the Asus MB? But it'll also mean i won't be able to use the 4 gigs of memory. Or should i just swap everything over the the Dell MB? (Which means new keyboard, since that MB doesn't except PS/2 keyboards (which i have a spare of) ?

Thank You
Kevin
That hardware is a very poor fit for modern FreeNAS with ZFS. You're better off looking at a different operating system / NAS distro. See FreeNAS hardware recommendations here: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/hardware-recommendations-read-this-first.23069/

91 XR7

Cadet
Oh I know it's unfit for a modern FreeNas system, but it's been working great for it's intended purpose, and even know 8.0.4 was basically outdated when I first set it up too! But at the time it was good for what I had and needed out of the system.

Like I basically said in a long winded post for those that remember way back when, what's the best way to replace a single drive (mounted as a single drive to) with drive of a larger capacity.

Thank you.

91 XR7

Cadet
Just to update this.

For my single drive I just did the replace function, even thou it came up with "detach" almost right away I just waited until the HDD light shut off and a bit more as it copied the files over and it was done.

Also swapped over 2 gigs of the 4 gigs memory over since they were slightly faster in speed. Now waiting on getting together with an friend and see about some 2x2gig Dimms he may have.

But now having all SATA drives, and maybe the little but faster memory it seems to be abit quicker now?

Status
Not open for further replies.