Problems creating volumes

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnvic

Cadet
I want to build a FreeNAS NAS using an old PC I have. It is an Asus A8V mobo ( bios up to date ), AMD Athlon 64 X2 proc, 2 gigs of ram. It has a 120 gig system drive ( I know it's way too big but I had it lying around ), a 500 gig WD IDE drive for storage, two 2 TB SATA drives that I want to use as a mirrored raid. I am running freeNAS-8.0-RELEASE-amd64.

I created 2 different volumes. One is a single drive using the 500 gig drive, the other is a mirrored raid. Both are UFS because of the amount of memory I have. When I view the volumes I get the message "Error getting used space, Error getting available space, Error getting total space". Also the status for the raid is COMPLETE and the status for the single disk volume is ONLINE. If I click the Change Permissions icon I get a popup stating "!Sorry, an error occurred". I have tried several different configurations of single disk volumes or raids and I get the same result. I had this PC running with win XP and sharing drives and it worked perfectly. I did not delete the ntfs partitions before creating the FreeNAS instal if that makes any difference.

Any suggestions? I want to share drives to store music and videos for an xbmc installation.

Thanks!

leenux_tux

Patron
I am getting the same issues. Has anyone else seen these problems ? I am (eventually) looking at using FreeNAS as a replacement for my current fileserver (based on well known Linux distro) and am currently testing FreeNAS using VMware. I have a few years experience with Linux so I thought I would not have any issues getting this up and running fairly quickly.

I have tried both the 64bit and 32bit versions of FreeNAS 8. On a mixture of VMWare Workstation and VMWare ESXi 4 and I get exactly the same problem.

For testing I created 3X1GB Virtual disks and 1x2GB Virtual Disks. I then created a volume containing the 3X1GB, ZFS, RAIDZ, and the 2GB drive as a single ZFS volume. The volume and path are being shown but for "Used","Available" and "Size" I get the same as Johnvic "Error getting used space, Error getting available space, Error getting total space".

As far as I can see this is pretty basic stuff, it can't be that difficult can it ??

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Fixed issue, found solution in another post. Virtual Disks were causing the issue. 1GB per disk is just not big enough. 2GB is probably the smallest you can get away with

johnvic

Cadet
I'm not using Virtual Disks so the problem is probably different. I tried FreeNAS 7 and had not problem with drives.

leenux_tux

Patron
Found the cause of the issue.... Me being a newby I guess. FreeNAS does not "like" hard drives below (I think) 2GB as it has to write a bunch of stuff to the disk for ZFS to operate correctly. I created three VMDK's at 1GB and one VMDK at 2GB. Not good. When I created the 3X8GB VMDK and 1X16GB VMDK all went OK :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.