Booting problems Freenas, access data: how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeppo

Cadet
Dear all,

I hope someone can help me out on this.

I have been running FN for a little over two months on my newly purchased Dell PowerEdge T20.
Despite being new to x-os systems, i managed to get it up and running, creating volumes, datasets, shares etc.
So that's a compliment for FN.

However, i do have a big problem now!
I wanted to make some changes to the system, but found the webgui was not responding. At that time data was still accessible through the shares i made.

Then i decided to reboot the system, but how many times i tried: FN failed to start succesfully, i have been running FN from a USB drive btw.

After several fruitless efforts i decided to download the most recent version and try again. This didn't help.

So now the question is: how do i get access to the data again?

Setup:

Dell PowerEdge T20 (4 Gb, 500 Gb Seagate)
2 x 3 Tb WD Red (mirrored setup)
1 x 3 Tb WD Red (single)

Appreciate all the help i can get!

D

dlavigne

Paste the error you get when the system boots. Also, have you tried burning to a different USB stick?

Zeppo

Cadet
Haven't tried another USB stick, will do so tonight.
Here are pics of the errors:
2014-09-13%2021.23.15.jpg

and
2014-09-13%2021.31.44.jpg

I have to confirm the last one is from the most recent version

D

dlavigne

Your images aren't displaying. But a previously booting system that no longer boots is usually due to a bad stick.

Zeppo

Cadet
Sorry about the images, linking from my dropbox seems not possible. Any recommendations for USB sticks, brands?

Error codes look like:
initiate_write_filepage: already started
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): READ(10). CDB: 28 00 00 02 8e bf 00 00 08 00
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): CAM status: CBB request completed with an error
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Retrying command

D

dlavigne

da0 is your stick, a new stick should solve it. Some recommended brands should be listed if you try searching the forums.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It also looks like you are using only 4GB of RAM. The minimum is 8GB and you have 1/2 of that. We know random problems occur when you don't meet the minimum system requirements.

Zeppo

Cadet
Ok, so i got my 8 Gb RAM upgrade today and installed it. System recognizes 12 Gb so off we go: brand new flash-stick, and boot.
I used version 9.2.1.5, since that was the version i was running before the crash.

Seems to get further in the boot process, but now i get the screen below, seems like a bug that has a lot of topics (:
Is there a quick fix?

2014-09-17%2021.43.09.jpg

Zeppo

Cadet
autoimport volumes worked fine, guess i need to create user / groups / shares ...

gpsguy

Did you ever backup your configuration? If so, you could restore it now.

If you end up recreating your users, groups, etc. I'd suggest backing up the configuration, so you don't have to do it again in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.