First Nas Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

oumpa31

Patron
I am creating my first nas box and i am trying to find out the best way to set this up so i can upgrade as i have the money.

I have (2) 3 tb, (2) 750 gig, (2)320 gig drives.

This will be going into an asus M4A78T-E motherboard with an AMD Phenom II X4 955 Quad Core with 12 gigs of DDR3 ram (non) ecc. I know i should use ecc ram and have hd's that match but i want to build this and upgrade as i can afford to.

I will be putting this together in the next few days and i am wondering how easy it is to add storage to an existing ZFS system or if i should set this up with the older file system? The plan is to go to at least (6) 4 tb wd red drives down the road.

What is the best way to set this up so as i have the money i can replace 2 drives at a time with the 4 tb drives? Any help will be appreciated.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I am creating my first nas box and i am trying to find out the best way to set this up so i can upgrade as i have the money.

I have (2) 3 tb, (2) 750 gig, (2)320 gig drives.

This will be going into an asus M4A78T-E motherboard with an AMD Phenom II X4 955 Quad Core with 12 gigs of DDR3 ram (non) ecc. I know i should use ecc ram and have hd's that match but i want to build this and upgrade as i can afford to.

I will be putting this together in the next few days and i am wondering how easy it is to add storage to an existing ZFS system or if i should set this up with the older file system? The plan is to go to at least (6) 4 tb wd red drives down the road.

What is the best way to set this up so as i have the money i can replace 2 drives at a time with the 4 tb drives? Any help will be appreciated.

I recommend you read Cyberjock's guide. Link is in my sig.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yep.. read my presentation. You're going to find you have lots of hurdles ahead of you.

oumpa31

Patron
Ok thanks guys.

Done a tun with building towers and stuff like that but this is my first run at a NAS. I have tuns of movies and music that i want to be able to stream throughout my house. So i will be reading tons. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.