Raid Z2 with different Size drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunMan

Cadet
Ok, guys. Newbie here. Trying to learn Unix/Linux, so I am building a NAS. I have built a 6 drive array for use with RaidZ2. I am planning to use 6, 1 TB drives for 4 TB useable with a 2 drive parity. that being said I want to test and see how it will "resliver" and build and such. So to start testing I was wanting to try 4, 1TB drives and a 150 and 500 GIG drive I have hanging around. According to the documentation I should be able to use those two smaller drives but the array would only recongize the smallest common size, it would see the 150 GB and format all the drives to 150GB. With paritiy that would in theory give me 150MB x4 or 600 MB with a 2 drive parity. After testing I will remove the smaller drives and place the remaining 2 1TB drives and see if will rebuild the array to give me my 4TB array. I hve the web console up and FREENAS (lastest version) sees all the drives. However it won't let me combine the larger and smaller drives. It will combine the 4, 1 TB drives and tries to use the 150, and 500 MB drives as stripes or mirrors. Is this possible to do through the console or do I have to do it manually? I am not good at command line yet so good directions would be appreicated.

SunMan

Cadet
Thanks Dlavigne,
I never saw the manual button, I will try again tonight.

SunMan

Cadet
I checked it out and I don't have the manual over ride button! I am using 9.1.1

SunMan

Cadet
I didn't realize it was old. I downloaded the ISO only a few months ago and built the built the box. Only recently started working on it again. I downloaded the most recent 9.2.x and it has the manual override button. So I was able to create the array with all the drives. Small and large. Once I have it talking with my Windoze boxes, I am going to throw some disposable data on it and start testing its crash/rebuild ability. Thanks for the imput guys.

joeschmuck

Old Man
You should be using FreeNAS 9.2.1 or 9.2.1.3, the others have issues you might not like. 9.2.1.6 is in Beta testing and I have no idea when it will be released. We are hoping that it will be the last bug fix for the 9.2.1.x line. But if you have no issues with 9.2.1.5, then you're doing good.

Status
Not open for further replies.