Raid Z2 & 16 disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuznutz04

Dabbler
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forums, and FreeNas in general. I have installed FreeNas on my new Storinator box. The box is capable of holding 30 drives, but right now, I am beginning with 17 drives. 16 drives (4 TB each) for storage and 1 as a hot spare. My goal was to setup a RAID 60 type array. My thought was to setup 2 RaidZ2 arrays, striped. I also have a log drive on an SSD and 2 caching drives, also on SSDs. The main purpose of this box will be a VEEAM backup repository. Did I set up this array correctly? Does anyone have another configuration that might be better for my situation? I'm a FreeNas noobie, so thanks in advance!

Volumes.png
Volume Details.png

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I think a bit more info may make our recommendations easier.
  • How much RAM are you running?
  • which model of hard disks (i.e. WD 4TB EFRX Nasware 3.0)?
  • How are the drives attached (i.e. HBA card with backplane)

mjws00

Guru
Looks about right to me. Striped mirrors would give more IOPS at the cost of space. But for a backup repository that is kind of unnecessary. 8 drive Z2 is pretty much spot on for width leaning towards space. Adding the next vdev will still give you room for a couple spares.

Not sure the cache drives will be useful, plus you need to watch the ratio or L2ARC to RAM (Keep it under 5:1). RAM may be inadequate depending on how active the server is i.e cold storage vs frequent retrieval. Slog may prove useful assuming nfs and sync=always.

If it was mine I'd dump the l2arc ssd's in favor of RAM. End of the day it will be about network utilization.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Just some BASIC considerations here...
  • 34GB RAM would be borderline IMHO, 16GB is just not going to be enough for that size pool.
  • 64GB would be much better and may allow you to drop the cache/log drives
Without knowing your exact needs it would be hard for me to say more. Perhaps someone with more
experience will follow up 4 you.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
L2ARCs are useless for backup repositories. I'd definitely not do less than 32 GB of RAM.

fuznutz04

Dabbler
Thanks for you replies everyone. In reading through the manual and the forums, it's clear that FreeNAS LOVES RAM; I'll bump up to 32 or 64 and ditch the logging/caching drives. Is there a reason that the compression is only listed at 1.0x? When I was setting up the pool, creating and deleting the pool to see how the various configurations would work, at one point, I had a compression of 3.x, another time it was in the 5.x range. Why do I only see 1.0x now?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Thanks for you replies everyone. In reading through the manual and the forums, it's clear that FreeNAS LOVES RAM; I'll bump up to 32 or 64 and ditch the logging/caching drives. Is there a reason that the compression is only listed at 1.0x? When I was setting up the pool, creating and deleting the pool to see how the various configurations would work, at one point, I had a compression of 3.x, another time it was in the 5.x range. Why do I only see 1.0x now?

LZ4 has an "early abort" if it can't achieve a reasonable level of compression (12.5% space savings, IIRC) - VEEAM has inline compression and deduplication, so if you're feeding FreeNAS a data stream that's already compressed or encrypted, LZ4 will just be aborting out of everything.

fuznutz04

Dabbler
LZ4 has an "early abort" if it can't achieve a reasonable level of compression (12.5% space savings, IIRC) - VEEAM has inline compression and deduplication, so if you're feeding FreeNAS a data stream that's already compressed or encrypted, LZ4 will just be aborting out of everything.

I haven't used this yet as a VEEAM repository. I just set it up and have moved pictures, audio files, videos, text documents etc. to it.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Images, audio, and video are pretty much not compressible, so that would explain the 1.0 compression ratio. It would take millions of text documents to significantly change that.

fuznutz04

Dabbler
Images, audio, and video are pretty much not compressible, so that would explain the 1.0 compression ratio. It would take millions of text documents to significantly change that.

Yes, after I pressed the reply button I realized that. :) I will leave the compression turned on even though I will be compressing with VEEAM. I will also be backing up hundreds of SQL data bases to this box, so hopefully I see a lot better compression with those.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Agree'ed, it all depends on the content you are writing to the pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.