can't make volumes

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowridersten

Cadet
Ok, I have 3 WD hdd. 2 are 500 GB the other is 320 GB, I can get the 320 to take a volume but I can't get the 2 500's to. I get an error unable to GPT format the disk "ada0".
Starting to get a little peeved..

All drives have been formatted, and like I said the 320 takes the volume with no problem.

BTW...I just dl freenas and wanted to try it out.

Rand

Guru
Do those drive work on another system?
Are they found and identified correctly?
Can they be used from say a linux or freebsd live cd?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Please list your system specs. In the meantime you could download a program called GParted and boot from that CD, then delete any partitions. Where did these 500GB drives come from, were they part of a RAID?

lowridersten

Cadet
Yes, they work in another system, yes they are id correctly. They came out of a windows xp box and are only 2 yrs old. I hooked them up to active boot disk and formatted them, then hooked them up to a windows box and formatted them again to make sure they were done correctly. I was thinking of putting them into RAID, but didn't.

FreeNAS-9.2.1.3-RELEASE-x64
PlatformPentium (R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz
Memory 3818MB

lowridersten

Cadet
I just tried to import volume onto the 500 it actually did something, but then tells me error getting available space, and error getting total space.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You should check out the hardware requirements for FreeNAS... 8GB is the minimum for ZFS without FreeNAS behaving erratically.

lowridersten

Cadet
I was using UFS, even ZFS won't format the drive.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Ok.. I want to conduct an experiment since I never have this problem myself.. any chance we could do a teamviewer session? If so, PM me. I can fix your problem, but I'd like to try an experiment to see if that works for future users that have your problem.

Edit: I'm also in IRC...

lowridersten

Cadet
No, but you can tell me the experiment and I will do it. I am not a noob in IT just a noob at this.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It's rather complicated so I can't really explain it. There's ifs/and thens.. it's not a do step 1,2 and 3 or I'd have listed the steps. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.