Realtek RTL8168E Support 9.10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AVSION

Contributor
Hi,

I'm new here and in a process of learning the FreeNAS software before getting my hardware (in the next two weeks).
in the meantime i have samsung laptop NP740U3E-XO1AU with i5-3337U CPU and 4GB Ram, that i would like to practice on, but i'm having network issues installing the FN 9.10.2

i have created USB boot using RUFUS software on my sandisk cruz 16GB and using sandisk extreme 128GB for the FN OS.

Samsung BIOS was very tricky to get going the USB boot didnt show up, had to make few changes i.e ACHI > Manual>ON, Fast Bios OFF, Secure boot OFF, OS Mode CMS OS and then got the USB showing and finally was able to get the FreeNAS installation working. during the installation after reboot from the sandisk extreme 128GB the samsung NIC is not recognised and when finish i'm getting 0.0.0.0 IP.
i tried setting up the Static IP, default IP and using shell to ping but no reply. i also tried to update the realtek driver and rerun the installation but still no luck.

can someone please help with this issue as i'm really want to use this laptop temporarily for practice.

Questions:

1. i have format the sandisk extreme to EXFAT can that cause issues?
2. is my Realtek RTL8168E support FN 9.10.2?
3. any other setting in the BIOS i'm missing?
4. i read old post that they use update file to fix a similar issue, is that apply to my case? https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/realtek-rtl81111f-support.7402/

FYI i did manage to use VirtualBox to install FreeNAS 9.10 but wasn't very stable and had few issues

Thank you in advance

melloa

Wizard
@AVSION

I wound't try what you are planing above as will be a very frustrating experience, even if you can get it going. You won't be able to "practice" anything on a "system" with 4 GB RAM and one HD, assuming you can boot from a USB stick.

pschatz100

Guru
Laptop's often have proprietary drivers for devices such as nic's. If FreeNAS doesn't see the device, then I would not spend any more time on this laptop. Move on to something else.

Last edited:

AVSION

Contributor
Thank you i will wait until i get the hardware

m0nkey_

MVP
can someone please help with this issue as i'm really want to use this laptop temporarily for practice.
You're unlikely to get help trying to run FreeNAS on a laptop. What I can recommend is pulling down a copy of VirtualBox and installing FreeNAS in a virtual machine if you want to play with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.