NAS server blew up - problem with networking on new box

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostwolf59

Contributor
Hi,
The other day my 7+ year nas server finally gave up with some smoke - spent some 3 hours taking it apart cleaning everything (lots of dust everywhere), cpu fan taken apart and properly cleaned, noticed one of the case fans ceased up comply so installed a new fan, lots of dusty components *even had to solder the speaker cable back to the speaker due to failing solder)

Anyway, put the lot together, started it, ran for a short while before shutting down (no fault reported, just didnt want to start up again - Power to the mobo but otherwise no real luck - played with it for a couple of minutes, when I started to smell electrical burn - hm,,, Well, no real drama with it - the unit had its life and served me well.

Now, as an interim solution I decided to use one of my other clients instead, so hooked up all drives, the nas bootable usb from the old system, started it, booted, but then ran into some issues (cant remember what, but nas shat itself big time during boot)
So today I decided to grab my old iso and put it onto a usb - starting with a clean install.
All good, exception to my old system were was that I went for the UEFI boot since my replacement mobo is somewhat newer than my old LGA775 board - Started fine
- Static ip changed so wanted to get this changed from 192.168.2.100 to 192.168.2.15 - entered the interface change menu and added this new ip.
- then I uploaded my old config and this is where some weird things seem to happen
1. Going into System Update checking for updates, nas spits the dummy (pic attached) - The url is accessible from within my browser - just nas that dont seem to be able to connect for some reason.
2. Going into plugins checking whats available, nas spits the dummy
3. Cant send email to admin (as I usually could where nas sent periodical status info to me)
4. Trying to send a support request results in "Connection failed: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='support-proxy.ixsystems.com', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /freenas/api/v1.0/categories (Caused by NewConnectionError(': Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 8] hostname nor servname provided, or not known',))"

NAS version is: FreeNAS-9.10.2-U3
update repository Configuration.jpg
nas webgui config.jpg
check for update failure.jpg
update repository Configuration.jpg
nas webgui config.jpg
check for update failure.jpg
plugin error.jpg

Another weird issue is not nas specific - its about boot priority on my new nas box - the mobo is a ASUS Sabertooth - Going into BIOS changing the boot priority to favor my NAS USB (SanDisk) appears to be fine - exit and save my BIOS config, but then during boot the system goes into "No boot device" and halts
This happens every time I try to boot while letting the system work it out
However, if I press F8 during boot I am given a boot menu where I can select the boot drive - on this menu I see two(!) SanDisks (one SanDisk UEFI and one just saying SanDisk)
The SanDisk Usb is the only one on the system, so there must be some confusion going on within the BIOS

Would like to be able to reboot at will without being forced to stand next to the server and opt for the correct boot devise
Also would like to get to the bottom with the NAS configuration - Have a lot so dont want to be forced to reconfigure the NAS from scratch if I can help.
Apart from the network issues, the config puts everything else in place correctly as far as I can see.

Anyone with suggestions (the boot issue is 100% annoying)

cheers

melloa

Wizard
- Static ip changed so wanted to get this changed from 192.168.2.100 to 192.168.2.15 - entered the interface change menu and added this new ip.

When you configured the static IP, did you set the default gateway?

Attachments

• Configure FN 9.10 Interface Manually.pdf
    88.7 KB · Views: 254

danb35

Hall of Famer
Did you have your old server configured for a static IP as well? If so, the config file you uploaded would have that configuration, and is probably confusing things. What does the Network -> Interfaces screen look like?

ghostwolf59

Contributor
Did you have your old server configured for a static IP as well? If so, the config file you uploaded would have that configuration, and is probably confusing things. What does the Network -> Interfaces screen look like?
Yes, old config had static ip (same as I want)

Previous post asked about default gateway (assuming this is my routers ip or) - and yes, tried that as well. The only thing that allow me to change my webgui ip is by specify it as part of the interface setup (default gateway is properly assigned to my router) - havent been successful using the static routes though - each time I do this things goes weird

Let say I want a static ip for my nas webgui (191.168.2.15) where its currently points to (192.168.2.100) and my default gateway is (192.168.2.1) - what steps do I need to take - What Ive done so far is what I always done, and I never had any issues connecting to plugin store, support, email etc - something is going haywire here - not sure exactly what though

Also keen getting some hints on the boot situation - As we speak my nas ip is set to what I want, but still facing the issues connecting to plugin store, support, email etc (as per pic)

melloa

Wizard
Did you check the pdf above? Other option is to setup the IP on your router to whatever you want and let FreeNAS interface as DHCP. If you can't resolve names from FN you have a gateway/DNS issue.

ghostwolf59

Contributor
Did you check the pdf above? Other option is to setup the IP on your router to whatever you want and let FreeNAS interface as DHCP. If you can't resolve names from FN you have a gateway/DNS issue.
Dont need to setup my router + its already defined + dont want DHCP + need/want a static ip as I always had it - none of this points to the problem accessing plugin store, bug report site etc

ghostwolf59

Contributor
interface screen.jpg

melloa

Wizard
none of this points to the problem accessing plugin store, bug report site etc

I disagree. Unless you can drop to the shell and be able to ping a known site, I'd say the points raised are valid.

Redcoat

MVP
What does "Network", "Global Configuration" show?

ghostwolf59

Contributor
I disagree. Unless you can drop to the shell and be able to ping a known site, I'd say the points raised are valid.

Can you elaborate and be a bit more specific what you mean by "points raised being valid"...? I don't have any issues with access to the server from other devices, that suggests its visible on my network - why I cant see the plugin store etc outbound while at the same time transmission and more plugins is up and running healthy as, I don't quite understand - its seem to be isolated to the FreeNAS server itself (nothing else).

Last edited by a moderator:

Redcoat

MVP
If you have DNS set in your router, suggest you put your router address in the Nameserver fields. If you don't have DNS set in your router, suggest you put your desired server(s) in the Nameserver fields.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Dont need to setup my router + its already defined + dont want DHCP + need/want a static ip as I always had it - none of this points to the problem accessing plugin store, bug report site etc
Complete sentences would really help. And problems accessing the plugin store, bug report site, etc., all point to network configuration problems, and the fact that other hosts on your LAN can see your FreeNAS box doesn't counter that indication. And the fact that you've restored a config file from different hardware could cause network configuration problems.

What's the output of ifconfig?

ghostwolf59

Contributor
Complete sentences would really help. And problems accessing the plugin store, bug report site, etc., all point to network configuration problems, and the fact that other hosts on your LAN can see your FreeNAS box doesn't counter that indication. And the fact that you've restored a config file from different hardware could cause network configuration problems.

What's the output of ifconfig?
I do acknowledge it all bogs down to some kind of network configuration issue - but don't believe the issue sits within my router.
When I installed nas initially I did have access to the plugin store etc. Went haywire as part of uploading my old config (backup taken from my old system) - Not sure where to look though

Here's the output from ifconfig....

Code:
[root@freenas ~]# ifconfig																										
em0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500												  
		options=42098<VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,WOL_MAGIC,VLAN_HWTSO>													
		ether f4:6d:04:97:b1:9b																									
		inet 192.168.2.15 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.2.255																
		nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>																						
		media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)																		
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384																  
		options=600003<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>																	  
		inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128																									
		inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2																				
		inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000																						  
		nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>																				  
bridge0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500													  
		ether 02:95:4c:b5:5e:00																									
		nd6 options=1<PERFORMNUD>																								  
		id 00:00:00:00:00:00 priority 32768 hellotime 2 fwddelay 15																
		maxage 20 holdcnt 6 proto rstp maxaddr 2000 timeout 1200																	
		root id 00:00:00:00:00:00 priority 32768 ifcost 0 port 0																	
		member: epair2a flags=143<LEARNING,DISCOVER,AUTOEDGE,AUTOPTP>															  
				ifmaxaddr 0 port 6 priority 128 path cost 2000																	
		member: epair1a flags=143<LEARNING,DISCOVER,AUTOEDGE,AUTOPTP>															  
				ifmaxaddr 0 port 5 priority 128 path cost 2000																	
		member: epair0a flags=143<LEARNING,DISCOVER,AUTOEDGE,AUTOPTP>															  
				ifmaxaddr 0 port 4 priority 128 path cost 2000																	
		member: em0 flags=143<LEARNING,DISCOVER,AUTOEDGE,AUTOPTP>																  
				ifmaxaddr 0 port 1 priority 128 path cost 20000																	
epair0a: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500											  
		options=8<VLAN_MTU>																										
		ether 02:ff:20:00:04:0a																									
		media: Ethernet 10Gbase-T (10Gbase-T <full-duplex>)																		
epair1a: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500											  
		options=8<VLAN_MTU>																										
		ether 02:ff:20:00:05:0a																									
epair2a: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500											  
		options=8<VLAN_MTU>																										
		ether 02:ff:20:00:06:0a																									
[root@freenas ~]#

Last edited by a moderator:

Stux

MVP
The NAS needs nameservers configured in order to access update servers, plugin catalogs etc.

In your picture, Nameservers are not configured.

But if you assigned a static ip via dhcp from your router/dhcp server, that would include the name servers for your network.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Nameserver is your problem, set that in FreeNAS and you should be good to go. You've gotten solid advice on here. Not setting the nameserver is actually a common problem I have seen multiple times on here.

ghostwolf59

Contributor
ok, changed the network interface setup to DHCP and that seem to have fix part of the problem (even though my static preferred ip hanged into a different one - I can now see update packages - but plugin store still show up as "No content" - the urlopen error [Errno 8] hostname nor server provided, or not known> error disappeared though
Havent checked the email and support yet as I currently are in the process of applying the latest stable release

ghostwolf59

Contributor
After applying the latest update its back to normal (plugin, email, support, updates) = all working

... AND no need to specify Nameserver(s)! - Never had to do so in the past either
nameserver.jpg

ghostwolf59

Contributor
Only outstanding issue is the boot situation - still havent managed to work that one out i.e
- the mobo is a ASUS Sabertooth - Going into BIOS changing the boot priority to favor my NAS USB (SanDisk) appears to be fine - exit and save my BIOS config, but then during boot the system goes into "No boot device" and halts
This happens every time I try to boot while letting the system work it out
However, if I press F8 during boot I am given a boot menu where I can select the boot drive - on this menu I see two(!) SanDisks (one SanDisk UEFI and one just saying SanDisk) - Its the SanDisk UEFI that boots properly. I have no idea why two SanDisks shows up on this boot menu and I suspect that its the none UEFI SanDisk that the system try to boot with by default. - BIOS have been configured to use the SanDisk as its nbr 1 boot device. BIOS have also been setup to treat the SanDisk as a HDD.
The SanDisk Usb is the only one on the system, so there must be some confusion going on within the BIOS

Would like to be able to reboot at will without being forced to stand next to the server and opt for the correct boot devise

Anyone with ideas on what the resolution to this non NAS issue would be?

Last edited:

Redcoat

MVP
Could the wrong partition on the SanDisk USB be designated as active?

Status
Not open for further replies.