NETWORKING with NAS JUST like WINDOS server

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe jay

Cadet
Actually I have a question for you guys.. ,, since windows Server are costly, I wanna find out whether NAS be use as a
file server.. For a office with 10-15 computers, can all of this computers connect to this NAS server and view and edit those file save in this NAS server that i wanna set up.. can I make this NAS file server, Just like windows Server can I create like 10- 15 user accounts and connect them locally so that each accounts has certain permission to access certain files...and if Multiple user Opens the same File Like Excel or word file, Only the one who Opens it the first has the permission to edit it... I just dont wanna data redundancy when Many user opens the same File. and will be there be any conflict of clients running Windows base pc... Thank you...

rnicolas

Explorer
What I would do before you invest on a good setup is test out your environment by setting up FreeNAS on any basic computer. Setup the user accounts maybe for just a test group of 5 people. Copy over the Excel files and let them go at it... opening up the file, saving the file and so forth. Try to troubleshoot any issues until you get it right, then you'll be able to know if this is the right solution for your workgroup.

Brand

If you want it to be JUST LIKE a Windows server like said then you need to use a Windows server.

Status
Not open for further replies.