Quick CrashPlan Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericv

Explorer
I am asking this question because I'd like to know if I can use CrashPlan to be an offsite backup for my FreeNAS.

From what I understand about the CrashPlan plugin is that you install a client on your PC, the plugin on FreeNAS and everything you backup from your PC to FreeNAS using CrashPlan will also be stored in the cloud.

Do I need to do the PC part? Can I just use crashplan to backup my FreeNAS?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
That's not how the plugin works.

The plugin backs up whatever you point it to on your freenas. It does NOT back up your PC to the server and then to the cloud. You can backup your PC to the NAS, but it won't replicate that to their cloud service.

The intended use of the plugin is to backup files that are on your nas. The client you install on your PC are for managing your remote headless plugin.

ericv

Explorer
That's not how the plugin works.

The plugin backs up whatever you point it to on your freenas. It does NOT back up your PC to the server and then to the cloud. You can backup your PC to the NAS, but it won't replicate that to their cloud service.

The intended use of the plugin is to backup files that are on your nas. The client you install on your PC are for managing your remote headless plugin.

Ok, so I can use it for what I want? I want to backup data that is on my FreeNAS to their cloud.

ericv

Explorer

ericv

Explorer
That's exactly what it is intended for

Does the client on my PC need to be running for the backup on the FreeNAS to CrashPlan to initiate / continue? Or is it just used to configure the server?

Status
Not open for further replies.