CrashPlan Installation Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew076

Patron
So... I just finished setting up my FreeNAS server (first one ever...) and I wanted to use the CrashPlan plugin (as I assumed that would allow it to connect to crashplan and backup the data). It now is vary apparent that there are several advanced steps that must be taken for this to work. So my question is this, is there a "Setting up Crashplan for Dummies" type guide out there? The plugin version for crashplan that I installed via the Plugins interface is 3.6.3_1. (also I am curious if there are other online backup services available - fee or not, that work well with a FreeNAS server.

Thanks

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty

Andrew076

Patron
Says Page not found.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Last edited:

Andrew076

Patron
wow... (sigh) talk about complex... thanks for the resources...

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Ok I can make it a little simplier for you. This method doesn't require all that stuff about ssh and putty.

1. install plugin configure storage, complexity level: click buttons in gui
2. install crashplan on your desktop computer, complexity level: download file click buttons in gui
3. modify ui.properties file on your desktop crashplan client and make the 'serviceHost=' line equal to your crashplan plugin ip address. Example: serviceHost=192.168.1.200, complexity level: medium you need to edit a file
4. done now you should be able to open your crashplan app on your desktop.

I think these are all the stop required. I didn't actually do it so I'm not 100% sure.

Andrew076

Patron
Yes... that was basically it. I found this YouTube video that did step by step instructions (visually yah!) and it seems to work. I did a small backup and then had a simulated catastrophe (I deleted the files)... then did a restore. The restore didn't work like I would have liked, however it did save the files and downloaded them. I will have to research some more to find out what is causing under the Restore option it to say "Restore disabled by administrator" this is on a home computer setup so I am the administrator ... I tried contacting myself and didn't get anywhere. ;)

But, for a backup, if there were to be a catastrophe such as multiple simultaneous hard drive failures I would still be able to get the files.

Thanks a ton everyone!

danb35

Hall of Famer
Status
Not open for further replies.