Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2201

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I plan to buid a new NAS with a MB with this NIC: Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2201

Will FreeNAS can work with this type of NIC. I found a good deal on a MB but the NIC are Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2201.

Thanks,

Guillaume

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Bwahahahahhaa.

No.

That is desktop/laptop stuff... so you're pretty much holding up a red flag that says "I'm buying desktop stuff for my server" and that often ends badly.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Even for desktops, my purchasing criteria for motherboards include the following:
  • Realtek GbE? Instant no.
  • Broadcom or Qualcomm GbE? Instant no if no Intel GbE present.
  • Killer (or anything promising 31337 h@x p0wn mad skillz)? Instant no - I refuse to pay more for an inferior product (I think it was Anandtech that compared Qualcomm's high-end "gaming" solution to Intel's bog-standard i217V or equivalent - the winner should come as no surprise).

Hi everyone,

Unfortunalty, I need to buy desktop stuff for budget reasons. Also, its not a business server, just a home server. So, someone get Realtek 8111G GbE LAN works with FreeNAS?

Thanks,

Guillaume

Someone get this NIC works with FreeNAS? I have spotted an motherboard with this NIC and the price is very great. So I just want to know if the NIC RTL8111G can work. Please I don't want to know your opinions on this NIC, just yes or no if it will work.

Thanks,

Guillaume

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You've already chosen to ignore the answer to your question, TWICE, that was given by Cyberjock and Ericlow. Don't expect to get any help on the forum from others WHEN your build goes sideways because because you chose to ignore the advice given.

If you are really on that tight of a budget I would suggest searching the forums for others who have built some low budget servers based on Lenovo, HP and other pre built server boxes and follow their lead.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
@guillaumesoucy - I'll be blunt; you are probably not looking at server or workstation-quality motherboards if you are asking about KillerNICs and Realtek hardware. Which means your server as planned probably does NOT have ECC RAM. And if you build a system without ECC RAM you are playing Russian roulette with your data.

As stated by @Jailer please check for some others who are using low-budget off-lease servers. I've used the HP ML-series tower servers myself and have obtained complete servers (less drives) for well under $200.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Locking this thread. Not even letting this thread go "there".

Status
Not open for further replies.