DHCP Works in SCALE and not CORE?

Didrik

Cadet
Hi, i wanted to setup my own truenas system. So i installed CORE first but it didn't give me a valid IP address. Just 0.0.0.0
And then i tried SCALE, and it gave me a valid address and was able to access web interface, but i want to use CORE.
I tried setting a fixed address but that didn't work either.

The system
i7 4790K
Gigabyte z97x Gaming 3 rev1,1
- (Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2201)
32Gb DDR3
GTX 750ti

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The Atheros ethernet chipsets are not well-supported. It would not shock me if it worked better under Linux than FreeBSD, as there are more Linux users desperate to make random PC's work as Linux desktops, so random garbagey Windows-targeted hardware often "works" on Linux. However, it is not likely to work particularly well.

Adding an Intel Desktop CT ethernet card is the classic solution. These work swimmingly well with FreeBSD and are highly performant.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Suggest sticking with SCALE in this case. It's going to have the broader hardware support in general. FreeBSD's drivers have always been much more limited.

Didrik

Cadet
The Atheros ethernet chipsets are not well-supported. It would not shock me if it worked better under Linux than FreeBSD, as there are more Linux users desperate to make random PC's work as Linux desktops, so random garbagey Windows-targeted hardware often "works" on Linux. However, it is not likely to work particularly well.

Adding an Intel Desktop CT ethernet card is the classic solution. These work swimmingly well with FreeBSD and are highly performant.
I bought a new MB with realtek ethernet for half the price of the intel card, and it WORKS with CORE. :wink: thanks for the help

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Well, I'd say you lucked out there, because the Realteks are often pretty bad too. :smile: It's sorta hit-or-miss.