Purpose of Creating Primary Groups for Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

clamschlauder

Dabbler
Hello all,

First post. I am on the lower level of networking knowledge and am geared up for some research to do what most others here are set to do and that is create myself a pretty cool home NAS.

When I see videos or examples of people setting up their user accounts they always seem to create a group with the same name as each user (Primary Group?). What is the purpose for this? Is that just common practice? My thinking is saying to create groups that have permissions based on where you want them to have access and what permissions they should have for different data sets or shares. Then I would name those groups accordingly such as if I ame in an office environment I would make a group Engineers that would have all of the engineers users under that group with certain permissions. I cant see the point of creating groups for each engineer, for example.

And yes I did read the documentation. I did not see anything in there regarding this. This is what it says "by default, a primary group with the same name as the user will be created; uncheck this box to select a different primary group name (NOTE: in Unix, a primary group is not the same as a secondary/auxiliary group)"

Footnote, I do not have any Linux/Unix experience if that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.