Setting Up Permissions ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

NASA

Explorer
I am setting up my server in my home where five members of my family will access it and I am more than a little bit bewildered as to how to set up permissions.

I have created a single volume for a 1TB mirrored array with five datasets (so I can manage disc usage) the latter of which, for the purpose of this post, I will call A, B, C, D, and E. There are permissions for the volume (of which A is the owner-user and A is the owner-group) and permissions for each of the five datasets: A (root is the owner-user and wheel is the owner-group--is this the way it should be?), B (B is the owner-user and A is the owner-group), C (C is the owner-user and A is the owner-group), D (D is the owner-user and A is the owner-group), and E (E is the owner-user and A is the owner-group). There are also permissions for the users: A (A is the primary group ID and A is the dataset), B (B is the primary group ID and A is the dataset), C (C is the primary group ID and A is the dataset), D (D is the primary group ID and A is the dataset), and E (E is the primary group ID and A is the dataset).

What I would like to do is to allow users B, C, D, and E to have read permissions to all the user data in every dataset (A, B, C, D, and E) but write and delete permissions only to their own datasets. User A (me-the administrator), on the other, should be allowed read, write, and delete permissions to all the user data in all the datasets (A, B, C, D, and E).

Have I created the datasets and users correctly? How should I set the permissions of the volume, the datasets, and the users to do what I would like to do?

Your help would be much appreciated.

NASA

Explorer
Thank you for trying protosd, but the link just confuses me more than I was before I read it. I have been puzzling over this matter for four days now. I got to the point where I could view login screens for each user, but I could not actually log in (i.e., to the files on the volume/datasets)--it was either password prompt with login (and the password not logging me in) or open access to the files without a password; then I tried changing things and forgot how I was able to produce the login screens.

I know it may be a bit much to ask, but I wish someone with much experience would provide me with a step-by-step answer to my actual question. The permissions setting is not intuitive and there are other newbees on this forum who are confused and might benefit from reading the answer to a setup example such as mine.

Thank You.
:(

NASA

Explorer
Well, I was finally able to figure out what permission and other settings I needed to accomplish most of what I wanted to do (except allow users B, C, D, and E to view all user's files--but I didn't really need that feature anyway). I was able to do it entirely via the GUI. I basically experimented by reverse-engineering the settings--turned out to be easy once one understands what the settings actually do--which the manual does not explain very well.

:cool:

NASA

Explorer
I'll try to find the time to do that for you--over the weekend--stay tuned. I know that there must be others who are as confused as I was when I started trying to figure out the correct settings.

NASA

Explorer
Valcore--see my new thread, "FreeNAS 8.2 Permissions Set-Up Example for Dummies."

:rolleyes:

Looks like the moderator moved my (above) post to the Configurations page.

Status
Not open for further replies.