Proposed FreeNAS Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not necessary to have two in mirror. If you can afford the downtime (in a home setting) to build another boot drive and simply copy over your configuration file - then yeah, one is fine. A second could be added later to make it a mirror.
OK. It's home use and downtime is not a problem for me.

OK, I have some time to spend on Newegg and amazon and my local Microcenter website to figure out configuration/cost comparisons.

diedrichg

Wizard

diedrichg

Wizard
OK, I have some time to spend on Newegg and amazon and my local Microcenter website to figure out configuration/cost comparisons.
Check out pcpartpicker.com to get price comparisons and price history.

Correct, without having to add an expansion card. The cost difference would be about $25 cheaper if you paid up front on the motherboard now.
I'm all for building in headroom up front.

I'm not sure which version of FN you will be going with but you will need to read up on how to backup its configuration file. Here is a post about how to set up automatic backups.
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/Backup-config-file-every-night-automatically!.8237/&share_type=t
Been busy trying to figure out hardware.
I was thinking 9.10 or CORRAL...

I was on 9.2x or 9.3 for a while...but with the whole new build, figuring I should come up to date...
Is there some discussion/argument to stay back?
With the big visual changeup in CORRAL, I'm thinking may as well start getting use to it now...no?

diedrichg

Wizard
From what I'm reading here, Corral is an incomplete mess. There are numerous reports of datasets getting inadvertently deleted. There are suspicions that bug reports are being removed or purposefully not being addressed for immediate fixing. And then there are official statements that 9.10.x is going to get a UI overhaul as well as acquiring a new jail manager called iocage. My family photos, videos, documents and music are too valuable to be under the guardianship of a fledgling OS like Corral. I'm sticking with 9.10.2 for at least another 6-12 months. And when these new 9.x releases do come out, I will still hold off for a month or two.

From what I'm reading here, Corral is an incomplete mess. There are numerous reports of datasets getting inadvertently deleted. There are suspicions that bug reports are being removed or purposefully not being addressed for immediate fixing. And then there are official statements that 9.10.x is going to get a UI overhaul as well as acquiring a new jail manager called iocage. My family photos, videos, documents and music are too valuable to be under the guardianship of a fledgling OS like Corral. I'm sticking with 9.10.2 for at least another 6-12 months. And when these new 9.x releases do come out, I will still hold off for a month or two.

That makes it simple. Thought Corral was more ready for Primetime than that.
9.10.x it is.

diedrichg

Wizard
Arguably, it is. I paint a bleak picture but at the bottom of it, it's stable. It will protect your data but the UI is incomplete. It will get better.

Check out pcpartpicker.com to get price comparisons and price history.
Are those resellers that pcpartspicker lists legit?
Or the usual "your mileage may vary" idea...

diedrichg

Wizard
I trust all of them. I've heard of most of them or seen them around for years. You can go into your account settings and enable or disable stores you do not want to see (Micro Center, jet, etc...)

OK, so here's the list. Any thoughts, different choices, additional questions to ponder before ordering, etc? Please share soon...

Chassis: Fractal Design R5 Blackout w/ Window

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V5 OEM/Tray (This means I have to buy a cooler for the chip and some thermal paste, right?, will I need anything else?)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Mobo: Supermicro X11SSL-CF

Memory: Crucial (2 x 16 GB) DDR-2133 (I could get the DDR-2400 from crucial for an extra $70...that speed doesn't make any difference, right?

PSU: Seasonic 660 W 80+ Platinum Modular

Fans: 2 Noctua NF-A14 FLX 140mm Fans (2 enough for this case + 6 HDDs?). Are these super quiet?

Boot: 120 GB SanDisk SSD

Last edited:

diedrichg

Wizard
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V5 OEM/Tray (This means I have to buy a cooler for the chip and some thermal paste, right?, will I need anything else?)
Correct, you'll need a cooler. The Hyper 212 EVO comes with paste.
Mobo: Supermicro X11SSL-CF
I think you'll be happy with this board. I don't own it but it's on my dream list. I'm living vicariously through you!
Memory: Crucial (2 x 16 GB) DDR-2133 (I could get the DDR-2400 from crucial for an extra $70...that speed doesn't make any difference, right?
NO. Waste of money.
Fans: 2 Noctua NF-A14 FLX 140mm Fans (2 enough for this case + 6 HDDs?). Are these super quiet?
Yes, with the ultra-low-noise adapter it'll run at 900RPM (silent) and still be pushing 88.7 m3/h of air. You would still be able to run even the low-noise adapter and still not hear them at 1050RPM. Those two fans will go in the front and then you can just keep the stock one in the back. It'll look pretty and still be quiet. Heck, you could even use one of the spare low-noise resistors from the Noctua fans to slow it down if it's in a noise sensitive area.
Any thoughts, different choices, additional questions to ponder before ordering, etc?
Looks great! It'll be a heck of a machine. I just watched this overview of Corral on Youtube. https://youtu.be/GlLzogmmnVY It'll give you a good idea of Corral's perks and misses. Watch the whole thing to see what's still missing from the new OS. It's certainly worthy of starting off fresh with this new build, just be ready to update a whole bunch as new features come to the GUI and keep in mind that some tasks are still only in the console.

diedrichg

Wizard
Chassis: Fractal Design R5 Blackout w/ Window
P.S. There is also a non-window flavor too. ...just in case you were not aware. It has the sound dampening material on the side panel that would have had the window.

P.S. There is also a non-window flavor too. ...just in case you were not aware. It has the sound dampening material on the side panel that would have had the window.
Thanks, I'm aware. The window one is cheaper. Sound isn't a that big a factor for me (ignore my fan questions, that's just curiosity). May go non window for the extra dollars but also may enjoy showing the working hardware to my son.

diedrichg

Wizard
Thanks, I'm aware. The window one is cheaper. Sound isn't a that big a factor for me (ignore my fan questions, that's just curiosity). May go non window for the extra dollars but also may enjoy showing the working hardware to my son.
Have him help build it, it'll be great bonding and he may learn something as well as find a new interest and appreciation for computers.

Hmmm...there's a Seasonic X-650KM3 that is available that is $20 cheaper (after rebate). What's the trade off between the Platinum 660 and the X-650? Slightly different internals that make no serious difference?

diedrichg

Wizard
Hmmm...there's a Seasonic X-650KM3 that is available that is $20 cheaper (after rebate). What's the trade off between the Platinum 660 and the X-650? Slightly different internals that make no serious difference?
Google the internals. Some of their model lines are better quality than the others as far as internals are concerned.

Your NAS will be idle 90% of the time, spending the extra $ for Platinum over Gold will not offset the power savings in efficiency since you will be at minimum power consumption for most of the life of the box.

Google the internals. Some of their model lines are better quality than the others as far as internals are concerned.

Your NAS will be idle 90% of the time, spending the extra $ for Platinum over Gold will not offset the power savings in efficiency since you will be at minimum power consumption for most of the life of the box.

Lol...I think that means do not spend the extra money on the Platinum?

diedrichg

Wizard
That's my non-professional suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.