Problems formatting Windows iSCSI target.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbrco

Dabbler
FreeNas 8.0.4 Build 10351 i386

I've set up a number of iSCSI targets and they all work fine. 1 for a ESXi as a datastore, another on a Win7 machine etc.

All of these iSCSI shares are on a SAS raid 1 (striped for capacity and speed) with SAS drives.
iSCSI network is on separate VLAN with Jumbo turned on and a non-blocking switch.

However, when ever I try to format a share that I build from one of my Windows 2008 R2 servers it always fails the formatting stage.

I've tried building it as a ZFS and UFS volume, tried both doing a device and file extent, playing with permissions etc. I'm able to build other iSCSI targets and attach with no problems. However when ever I try to format the drive
from under this Windows 2008 R2 server it fails with "Windows can not complete the format".

No errors in Windows or FreeNas logs.

I've also tried to adjust the block size for the Windows format to no avail. I've scrubbed the volume (when trying ZFS) and I've also tried importing to see if there is something else wrong like an old image etc.

Searched web and these forums with no solution.

Anybody have any ideas?

wbrco

Dabbler
Fixed -

Disconnected iSCSI target from Win 2008 R2 Server. Changed access rules so that I could connect from my Windows 7 machine. Connected to target, launched Paragon Hard Disk Manager Pro and using advanced settings partitioned and formatted for NTFS.

Dropped connection from Win7 and re-connected Win Server. No problems.

Strange - bug in Win Server 2008 R2 partition or weird FreeNas issue??

Status
Not open for further replies.