VMFS iSCSI disappeared after power outage

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechgt

Cadet
I've been running FreeNAS (8.0.3) on several boxes for several years (FreeNAS iSCSI targets for several ESXi hosts), and all has been working wonderfully. Over the weekend we had a power outage and 2 out of 3 boxes came back, however there's something wrong with the 3rd and I'm having a hard time diagnosing it. Maybe the VMFS filesystem got corrupted, or something with the the iSCSI target was lost... or... ?

ESXi shows the iSCSI datastore as inactive. If I try to add it as a new datastore in ESXi, the target is visible, however while adding it says that the the target is empty - "volume is empty, VMware will format the drive, all data will be lost..." type messages (I don't actually complete this, I hope my data is still in tact somewhere).

Any ideas on specifically what the problem could be or how I can pinpoint this more?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Ug.. you have a mess on your hands. I'd say that you almost certainly lost the data on your iSCSI target and I hope you have a backup. It was probably a partial write to the volume during the loss of power that lead to the problem.

I will say that a properly administered server would be running FreeNAS 8.3.1, 8.3.2 or 9.1.1. That version is older than the time I've been here(I showed up at 8.0.4-p3).

Also it should have had a UPS setup to do a proper shutdown. Not sure if you had one and it failed to work(surprise.. that NEVER happens) or if you just didn't have one.

Did you have a backup?

If you want some one-on-one support find me in the IRC channel and I'll see if I can make some time to look at your issue. But right now I'd say things aren't looking good.

Status
Not open for further replies.