ISCSI corrupted target

sasturias

Cadet
I've had FreeNAS setup and working for over a year now as a ISCSI target, with a single Windows Server 2008 R2 system connected to it. The pool is configured as a RAIDz2 and haven't had any issues with it. However I think I've caused a major problem that I don't know if there's any way to recover.

The server was running a single application and I was using the FreeNAS to store data for this application using ISCSI. However, I was looking to move the application to a new server, so I shutdown the server, and tried to connect the new server to FreeNAS. It connected just fine, but it looks like in the process of connecting it corrupted my volume. I shutdown the new server and brought the old server back online. It is able to connect back to FreeNAS, but the drive is just showing up as RAW, and when I try to access the drive I get an error that the drive is not accessible and the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

Is there any way to recover the data or am I just hosed? I unfortunately have no backups of the data.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I've had FreeNAS setup and working for over a year now as a ISCSI target, with a single Windows Server 2008 R2 system connected to it. The pool is configured as a RAIDz2 and haven't had any issues with it. However I think I've caused a major problem that I don't know if there's any way to recover.

The server was running a single application and I was using the FreeNAS to store data for this application using ISCSI. However, I was looking to move the application to a new server, so I shutdown the server, and tried to connect the new server to FreeNAS. It connected just fine, but it looks like in the process of connecting it corrupted my volume. I shutdown the new server and brought the old server back online. It is able to connect back to FreeNAS, but the drive is just showing up as RAW, and when I try to access the drive I get an error that the drive is not accessible and the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

Is there any way to recover the data or am I just hosed? I unfortunately have no backups of the data.

Yeah, this is a sign that you probably didn't shut down your other Windows Server. NTFS is not a cluster-aware filesystem, and if you connect two Windows systems to the same volume, both think that they "own" it and both can and will write conflicting things to the same disk.