iSCSI target/extent no longer readable

Status
Not open for further replies.

asiwasgoing

Cadet
Hi

I have had FreeNAS 8 running for a year with no problems, but today, one of my iSCSI file targets stopped working correctly.

FreeNAS was version 8.0, but I have now upgraded to FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE-p2-x64 (11367) with OS Version FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p7 and uploaded my config OK.

The NAS box has four 3TB drives with a single 8GB ZFS raid volume called /mnt/freenas
There are three iSCSI file extents /mnt/freenas/backup (1TB), /mnt/freenas/htpc (4TB), /mnt/freenas/pc (1TB)

The backup and pc targets are still working OK from the PCs that connect to them.

Windows 7 will connect to the htpc target, but when it mounts it as a drive it reports 'the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable'.

Any advice? Is there some kind of check I can run on the file extent, or at least extract the data (lots of TV shows and DVDs) to another drive?

I am an experienced Windows user, but not with Linux, please bear this in mind :)

Thanks for looking.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Can the windows initiator at least connect to the htpc target and create a disk device?
If so you could try to run fsck on it (windows side ofc)

asiwasgoing

Cadet
Can the windows initiator at least connect to the htpc target and create a disk device?
If so you could try to run fsck on it (windows side ofc)

Windows does create a disk device, but pops up the standard dialog box 'You need to format the disk in drive I: before you can use it'. The drive shows in Disk Management as a raw 4095GB volume. I don't want to run any Windows utilities on the drive in case it destroys the contents of the file extent on FreeNAS.

As it's the file extent that seems to be the problem, is there something I can do on the FreeNAS box to check or repair the file extent?

Status
Not open for further replies.