Problem with upgrade from 8.3 to 9.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanWor

Dabbler
Hardware - RocketRaid 27xx - 4 x 3TB WD Caviar Black, 1 x SSD 32G 1 x 32G USB, 16G memory

The SSD was set up as cache.

System was running on 8.3.1 x64 release but I was having problems with the plugin jail. I followed the upgrade process and backed up my config file. I tried to do a GUI upgrade but that failed. I then created a brand new USB with 9.1 Release on it and tried to migrate over.

It pulls the stored config.db file over and reboots.
I then see a message in the list saying: Error 22 Unretryable Error
The .db then upgrades and the system reboots again.
I again see the Error 22 message and the system boots and I can access it over the web GUI.

View Disks shows both the drives: ada0 and da0

When I try an auto import it finds the drive "canies_Venatici" and attempts to import it but fails with the error message:

freenas kernel: Solaris: WARNING: Disk, '/dev/gptid/a6382084-86ff-11e2-945b-94de80070782', has a block alignment that is larger than the pool's alignment

I have also tried to go back to a fresh install of 8.3.1 Release but that does not seem to work either.

Any help would be appreciated!

TIA

Ian

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Got no clue what your problem is, but that highpoint controller makes me think "fail" for FreeNAS. Highpoint is one of the worst controllers you can pick that actually has a driver with FreeNAS. Sometimes I wish it didn't have a driver so people couldn't use them. And I own like 6 of them!

IanWor

Dabbler
Got no clue what your problem is, but that highpoint controller makes me think "fail" for FreeNAS. Highpoint is one of the worst controllers you can pick that actually has a driver with FreeNAS. Sometimes I wish it didn't have a driver so people couldn't use them. And I own like 6 of them!

So, if I change to a different hardware raid card, would I still be able to get the data that is currently on these disks?

What about keeping this card and using a WIN 7 setup?

I am a bit frustrated that at the moment I can not go forward to 9.x and it seems I can't go back to 8.3.1.

Arrgh.

Thanks.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So, if I change to a different hardware raid card, would I still be able to get the data that is currently on these disks?

What about keeping this card and using a WIN 7 setup?

I am a bit frustrated that at the moment I can not go forward to 9.x and it seems I can't go back to 8.3.1.

Arrgh.

Thanks.

Not sure about the access. If you did a hardware RAID, no. For some reason everyone tries to do ZFS on a hardware RAID, which is not only redundant, it's dangerous for your data. Only you will know that based on how you set it up.

You can easily install windows 7. But Windows doesn't know how to use UFS or ZFS, so you won't be able to access your data.

IanWor

Dabbler
OK. Thanks.

Just to update. I installed 8.3.2 and have auto imported the drives successfully and now have the system up and running again - mostly.

At least all of the volumes are back and so is the data on them.

Ian

JohnKnee

Dabbler
@IanWor

cyberjock is correct if you used Hardware Raid with this card in your 8.3.1 setup. If however you used zfs, then I think it maybe possible to get your system back. Did you follow this guide (http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Migrating_an_8.x_Jail) when you went from 8.3.1 to 9.1 release?

I know the jails changed between 8.x and 9.x release and that may be the problem. Also did you try importing the pool from the command line. If so please post the output of "zpool import", "gpart status", and "zpool status". I am no zfs guru but cyberjock has previously asked for this info from other people.

Lastly, I know some people have had trouble using the RocketRaid cards, but I myself have been using the RocketRaid 2720sgl (nonraid firmware 1.2) since FreeNas 8.x release and it has served me well with some caveats. I cannot get smartd working correctly via the gui but works fine via the command line, and you are unable to see the serial numbers in the gui. I can leave with that for now.

PS. just saw your post while I was typing that all went well. :)

IanWor

Dabbler
Ok, running in 8.3.2 I now get:

gpart status
Name Status Components
ada0p1 OK ada0
da0p1 OK da0
da0p2 OK da0
da1s1 OK da1
da1s2 OK da1
da1s3 OK da1
da1s4 OK da1