Problem copying large file from OSX to CIFS share

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProtoSD

MVP
Force SMB1:

sc config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi
sc config mrxsmb20 start= disabled

Enable SMB2: (there is no force for SMB2)
sc config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/mrxsmb20/nsi
sc config mrxsmb20 start= auto

Note: the space between the = and the parameter are on purpose.

Just wondering if that bowser is on purpose too, or if it should be "bRowser"? ;)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
"bowser" is on purpose. It is not Browser :)

JaimieV

Guru
Copying very large files from a 10.6.8 Mac over CIFS works fine.

I'm pretty certain now that it's an Apple CIFS problem. For 10.7+ they moved off Samba (it went GPLv3) to their own code. Unfortunately there seems to be an anomaly with Apple's SMBX talking to the Samba in 8.3.0 (possibly other versions and possibly in implementations elsewhere too, I haven't had a chance to check yet; perhaps it's also filesystem dependent... I'm on ZFS).

I've logged a bug with Apple about it.

In the meantime, if you can use AFP, do that. If not, and this particular file is the only issue, look into splitting your VM's virtual hard drive file into smaller chunks that don't break the 4gig limit.

nogi

Explorer
Copying very large files from a 10.6.8 Mac over CIFS works fine.

I'm pretty certain now that it's an Apple CIFS problem. For 10.7+ they moved off Samba (it went GPLv3) to their own code. Unfortunately there seems to be an anomaly with Apple's SMBX talking to the Samba in 8.3.0 (possibly other versions and possibly in implementations elsewhere too, I haven't had a chance to check yet; perhaps it's also filesystem dependent... I'm on ZFS).

I've logged a bug with Apple about it.

In the meantime, if you can use AFP, do that. If not, and this particular file is the only issue, look into splitting your VM's virtual hard drive file into smaller chunks that don't break the 4gig limit.

Yes, you are correct. I can't use AFP because of the way my TimeMachine is setup. I created a test NFS share and it copied over fine.

Damn Apple!!! Do you mind linking the bug log so I can keep an eye on progress?

JaimieV

Guru
If only! Apple don't make their bug log public... or much else, to be honest. I'll post here if/when it's fixed though.

gregh42

Dabbler
Hello, I found this thread after searching- I am getting the same error when I copy a file (4.4 GB) from Mac OSX (Mountain Lion) to a CIFS share. It bombs once it gets a little over 4 GB during the copy.

I added the line "max protocol = NT1" to auxilary parameters and re-started the CIFS share, but I still get the same error. I am able to copy the file to a non-CIFS share just fine. I am running FreeNAs 8.3.0. Is there something I missing?

Thanks,
Greg

gregh42

Dabbler
Update: I stumbled across this link and found a fix.

http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/CIFS

I was able to the parameters on the CIFS service and checked "Large RW Support" and also checked "Enable AIO". Once I did this, I was able to copy my 4.4 GB file just fine from Mac OSX to FreeNas.

Also, I thought I'd run a speed test because a few others had mentioned this.

From Mac OSX I am getting about 75 MB/Sec write and around 72 MB/Sec for read on the CIFS share. I get about 110 MB/Sec write and 95 MB/Sec read on the AFP share so there is definitely a difference in performance. From Windows 8 I am getting around 80 MB/Sec on write, and 90 MB/Sec on the read. Both machines have SSD's and are connected via 1 gigabit link.

Hello, I found this thread after searching- I am getting the same error when I copy a file (4.4 GB) from Mac OSX (Mountain Lion) to a CIFS share. It bombs once it gets a little over 4 GB during the copy.

I added the line "max protocol = NT1" to auxilary parameters and re-started the CIFS share, but I still get the same error. I am able to copy the file to a non-CIFS share just fine. I am running FreeNAs 8.3.0. Is there something I missing?

Thanks,
Greg

JaimieV

Guru
Hey, many thanks Greg! I've not had anything* back from Apple about my logged bug, so this is very welcome.

On going into CIFS settings on 8.3.1, I observe that there's no "Large RW Support" tickbox as described by the manual at your link, so I tested again: Now copying large files over CIFS to 8.3.1 works without issue, so I checked the release note again -

"6. Remove the option to disable large read/write for CIFS. Disabling this could only cause pain and suffering."

Grin!

Edit: (* - well, no solutions. They asked me for a tcpdump and suchlike, which I provided)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Doh! You disabled Large RW support? There's really no reason to disable it(default is enabled) except in extremely rare situations. The downsides are very negligible. I guess this is a lesson in "if you don't know what its for don't mess with it."

When i saw that Large RW was removed from the GUI I breathed a sigh of relief. I could never find a reason why you'd disable it, but if you understand what it does internally it makes WAY more sense to leave it on all of the time.

JaimieV

Guru
Oh, no - I absolutely didn't disable Large RW Support. I've only even looked in the CIFS options panel once before, as I barely use CIFS. First time I've looked for that option was yesterday, and it wasn't there.

I can only assume that at some point between my first FreeNAS on this box (8.0.1-rc2) and now, one of the betas disabled it and it stayed off. Or some other glitch in the matrix.

But note further up the thread: OSX 10.6.8 (which also uses Samba) had no trouble copying over >4gig files with the same settings, whatever they might have been. It was only SMBX that had trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.